19 September 2007

Here are some thoughts by one of my favorite Authors

"The extravagant gesture is the very stuff of creation. After one extravagant gesture of creation in the first place, the universe has continued to deal exclusively in extravagances, flinging intricacies and colossi down aeons of emptiness, heaping profusions on profligacies with fresh vigor. The whole show has been on fire since the word go!"

"Appealing workplaces are to be avoided. One wants a room with no view, so imagination can meet memory in the dark."

"Eskimo: "If I did not know about God and sin, would I go to hell?" Priest: "No, not if you did not know." Eskimo: "Then why did you tell me?" "

"Spend the afternoon. You can't take it with you."

"There is a certain age at which a child looks at you in all earnestness and delivers a long, pleased speech in all the true inflections of spoken English, but with not one recognizable syllable. "

Annie Dillard


I love Annie Dillard because she observes so carefully, and she writes with startling clarity and cleverness. She reminds me of CS Lewis in the way she can place the small things of life so easily in the big picture.

1 comment:

Gina said...

I like what she says about how children speak. That describes it perfectly! So many times when I am listening to Jackson talk, it's like undoing a little puzzle, and I feel like I'm playing Mad-gab!