28 September 2007

the math

I have recently received two of the same chain letter. It is an old-fashioned chain letter that goes through USPS and involves 6" squares of purple fabric. As I don't believe in forwarding them but have a hyperactive conscience, I have been sending the two squares to the first person on the list and then twelve squares to the second person so I don't have to forward, but they still get their fabric. This has been a drain on my purple fabric, which I wouldn't have had to buy if I hadn't received the darn letter in the first place. So for all those of you who are thinking about chain letters, here is the math:

1+
6+
36+
216+
1296+
7776+
46,656+
279,936+
1,679,616+
10,077,696
=12,093,235 . . .

Within 6 iterations, every man, woman and child in the city of Hurricane will have to participate in this. Poor Mrs. Stout who has 14 children! That's 114 squares of purple fabric.

And within 9 iterations, nearly every man, woman, and child in the great state of Utah would have to participate.

You can see where this is going. Within a couple more iterations, everyone in the United States will need to be participating. And I don't think most Americans have six friends in China to whom they can send the thing.

So do me a favor. If you get a chain letter, tell your conscience that it is okay to throw it away and not forward it to your good old friend Jen. And I'll do you the same favor.

1 comment:

champy said...

Let us not forget that this same math applies to an area's ability to "support" pyramid marketers. If only everyone would do a little simple math now and then. . .