31 October 2007

My struggle with addiction


Here are three things you probably didn't know about me:

1. I have been Santa Claus to a small school of Montessori children because all of the boys in my London Study Abroad Programme had to take a final when the school needed a fat man in red.

2. I have to leave the hall bathroom fan on approximately 83% of the time for no good reason. It just feels musty to me if I haven't cleaned it in the last 30 minutes. This is a strange pregnancy phenomenon.

3. I have a severe addiction to candy, that rears its head like a nasty green sugar-coated monster at the end of every October.

My name is Jenny, and I am a candyaholic. I have only eaten two pieces of candy today, which I consider very good, as there is a large bowl about three inches from the edge of the kitchen counter that is behaving like a my-mouth-magnet at the moment. And I shared the first piece with two small children, which was very altruistic, if I do say so myself.

I have been working on this problem. I purposely didn't buy the Halloween candy until last week, because I usually buy it at the beginning of October, and it is gone before the trick-or-treaters come, thus necessitating a second candy purchase and short period of dieting before Turkey Day. So this year I made the purchase later. Still, the sweettarts and tootsie rolls have haunted me all six days they have been here.

Pregnancy is actually the reason this shameful closet addiction has made it to my blog. I am so exhausted all the time, and this sugar problem has aggravated my exhaustion ten-fold. The other day, I sat around on the couch all morning talking to my one-year-old and struggling to keep my eyes open. So at noon I decided that I had to fight back before I became lost in a sugar induced stupor. I went for a walk. I ate some carrot sticks. I placed the Halloween bowl on top of the fridge. And I wrote out a list of dinners for the next week and a half, so that I would have good food to look forward to and focus on rather than endlessly ponder on how to keep myself away from the sweets that will undoubtedly be leftover after the Candy Festival bacchanalia.

I now follow the example of a stranger's blog and list these meals that I now anticipate, because I thought it was interesting to read what another family ate for dinner.

Wed. Homemade Hamburgers, fries, carrots, celery, ranch.

Thurs. Chicken Alfredo, Asian chicken salad

Fri. Scrambled eggs w/ cheese. Toast.

Sat. Grilled cheese or tuna sandwiches, chips and salsa. (Brush your teeth after this one, folks)

Sun. Pot roast and veggies

Mon. Beef stir fry w/ snow peas and leftover pot roast meat

Tues. Chicken Caesar salad. Rolls.

Wed. Something from the sea.

By the way, I have been flossing daily, and am now as self-righteous about it as my husband. Mwa ha ha ha. Maybe I'll go eat some candy to reward my good habit.

1 comment:

amy said...

i FEEL your PAIN. stupid candy. stupid stupid stupid.