23 October 2007

Those Dreadful Cupboards again.

Now, before you say, "One should never paint one's cupboards. They will undoubtedly turn out hideous," just remember, that this is what I am dealing with people. You can not move down the aesthetic spectrum from these.
Today you shall be treated to a how-to lesson in antiquing cupboards. We have already stripped the nasty old polyurethane, washed the cupboards with tsp, primed, and painted them. Now the artistic part comes into play. Observe what I was talking about with our nose-warps in an earlier post in the curved line of this drawer. The curve relates to the focal length of the camera. So this is my drawer before the treatment.
Here are the tools I used. Actually, I realized after taking the picture that I didn't use the yellow brush at all, so it is just for show. The bottles of antiquing polish are all the same, but I put all three in the picture because that's how many times I had to go to Michael's before finding the stupid stuff. I had to go to my friend's house, look at her bottle, and she told me that it was underneath the gold leaf stuff. So she saved me from having to buy it online from Folk Art for twice what it retailed at Michael's (a whopping $1.19 per bottle).
So the first step is to squirt a small amount of the polish into a bowl that you don't mind antiquing. This is my antique red plastic bowl. Hi bowl.

Then you add a little water and stir the mix around with the spongy brush.
Here is another picture of the blank slate.

Here you can see that the first slathering coat is a little drippy.

And here's another picture of the drippy. If it's that drippy, I go at it while it's still wet with the sponge brush so they don't dry drippy. If they do, it's not so pretty when you get to the next step because the drips come off in bad looking globs.
Get a nastified rag that you don't mind antiquing. Wet and wring it.
Wait for the antiquing polish to get pretty dry. Use nastified rag to wipe it until it looks the way you want it to. Don't be afraid to re-apply if you accidentally wipe too much off. If the polish is good and dry, you will have to apply more pressure, and the color will stick in your cracks better. If you just want a smooth thin sheen, you can wipe while the polish is still wet.

Now you can enjoy your newly antiqued cupboard drawers. And polyurethane them soon, so they don't get dirty. It is one thing to look dirty and old. It is another thing to actually be dirty.


When you are done doing this you should go and post it on your blog and email me, so I can enjoy the result of your hard work, too! Yes, that's actually what my hair looks like from the back. Alex took the picture to ascertain if the camera was still alive because Grace was so kind as to thwack the camera within an inch of its life on our coffee table. Luckily, my UV haze filter gave its life for the lens, and the camera is alive and well. What a trooper. This is just another reason why everyone should use Cannon.

Now, when the burgundy beadboard backsplash is in, my house will really look like Papa Murphy's. Hooray!

1 comment:

Gina said...

Thanks for the tutorial. You have inspired me. I don't think this will be happening before the baby-- and I have no idea after the baby when this may happen-- but I would love it if I woke up one morning and my cupboards were refinished! Yours look so cute. I can't wait to see what the beadboard looks like!