29 November 2007

Confession

During my wild and crazy college days, my sister Sara, cousin Annettey and I once traveled to the cheap clothing mecca Old Navy. While we were waiting in line, we discovered the item pictured above: a glorious skittle-skat roarious stuffed microphone. We immediately began interviewing each other, laughing boisterously and otherwise making nuisances of ourselves in the dismayed presence of the other shoppers. Sara helped me pick out every last microphone from the bin. We proceeded to purchase all of them, since we knew this was love at first sight and we would never want to lose or be without one of our precious new essential entertainment commodities.

We then drove down University Parkway blaring Bohemian Rhapsody and other anthems of college girls gone wild in Provo, singing away with our newfound treasures. We waved at other cars, showing off our precious stuffed prizes.

Then it happened. One of us felt that there was something firm inside the toy. Upon further examination (squeezing and resultant squeaking), we discovered that our IQ's were not the sophisticated near genius level we had previously imagined. We had been easily and overly entertained by (scary music) a dog toy!

*this post is dedicated to Heidi, by whom it was inspired.

4 comments:

Heidi said...

Aw, shucks. I feel all honored and special and inspiring (FINALLY!). I feel like I should make an acceptance speech (with a MICROPHONE)!

If you still have some extra dog microphones, I'll buy them off you--because, hey, I'm not picky, either.

Connie said...

DEAR ROWENA,
IT IS GOOD TO KNOW THAT YOU HAVE NOT LEFT YOUR SPONTANEOUS CHILDLIKE SELF BEHIND IN YOUR EFFORT TO BECOME AN ADULT. IT IS IMPORTANT TO RETAIN CHILDHOOD ALL THROUGH LIFE. IT IS PART OF BEING HUMBLE AND ALSO PART OF REALLY LIVING LIFE TO THE FULLEST.GRACE WILL APPRECIATE A PARENT WITH WHOM SHE CAN RELATE AND WHO CAN RELATE TO HER, SO I AM THRILLED THAT YOU PLAYED WITH A DOG TOY AND GOT MORE PLEASURE FROM IT THAN ANY DOG WOULD HAVE BEEN ABLE TO DO. WELL DONE. LOVE , MOM

Dansie Family said...

that brings me back to my byu days. we did some of the dumbest, but most entertaining things. i have a few scrapbook pages that document our adventures. thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Amy Huntington said...

HAHAHA I remember videotaping interviews with that stuffed mic at grandma's house!! Why? I don't know! I can't explain a lot of things that have happened in my life!