21 January 2008

Granoley

This is my friend, coconut. "Hi everyone." Hi coconut. I really like the bigger shaved kind which is pretty reasonable when purchased from my friends over at Pioneer Nutrition.
That coconut is great for mixing with chopped nuts, rolled oats, and a few other things to produce the item below:

Also known as Better Homes and Gardens granola ala Rowena. Here is the recipe with my small alterations (Granola should be altered until your heart is content, if you ask me.):

2 cups rolled oats
1 cup coarsely chopped nuts. I used almonds, but walnuts or peanuts or pecans work, too.
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup flax seed (they use wheat germ, which I don't have at the moment.)
1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
2 tbsp oil.

And shucky darn I just realized I forgot to add the green pumpkin seeds. They make it such a pretty color. Oh well. Basically, just go to the nutrition store and buy whatever flips your skirt and throw in however much feels right. Listen to your heart.

Mix all the dry items together. Mix the wet items together, then pour into the dry items and mix all together. Spread evenly in a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 300 for half an hour, stirring at about 20 minutes. (I have forgotten to stir both times, and the stuff was still great. Granola is very forgiving, I think.) Cool on a large piece of foil. I doubled the batch, which is why there are two sheets of foil. This stuff stays good for a week on the counter in an airtight container or several months in the freezer in a bag.

Next time I might throw in some chopped up dried peaches if I feel really exotic.

8 comments:

msjvd said...

May I suggest that the prize in the next Rowdy Rowena's Contest be some of this granola as a prize, please?

Jen said...

Sure thing, though it is remotely possible that you won't win every contest ever put on around this place. (Emphasis on the remotely...)

Dansie Family said...

i have always wanted to make granola. maybe i will have to give it try now with this luscious recipe. thanks.

Gina said...

This sounds so good. Especially with the coconut chunks!

amy said...

i have been meaning to try my hand at granola...but i can't trust it is really easy, because you do things like make quilts for your children and toy around with photoshop, which i consider to be inestimably complex. but, perhaps. one day. i think my spouse would sing my (and your) praises.

Leisha said...

Num! That's all I can say...NUM!

amy said...

i bought pumpkin seeds today for just this purpose. i am hopeful that my granola will be as forgiving as yours.

amy said...

this stuff is better than cookies.

i am only exaggerating mildly.

the one mistake i made was adding flax seeds, which got cemented to the jelly roll pan and, as i tried to scrape them free, resulted in my littering my kitchen floor with a spray of granola.

i mixed a little coconut extract in with the liquids and it was nice. also, i used dried apricots and chopped em up real good, and that worked well; i encourage your use of dried peaches. i have tried to make granola before to no avail. Thanks for the recipe. It is a keeper!