26 January 2008

Things that Fill my Heart with Joy

*The fact that my dear Alex and our friend Matt once drove all the way to Salt Lake City and back listening to "Higher Power" by Boston on repeat. This song is on the edge of the genre to which some of our loved ones affectionately refer as ButtRock. When he told me about this I said, "You guys are crazy," to which he responded, "But good-looking."

*When munchkin 1 says "snow" and "nuts" with perfect pronunciation, in spite of her general unintelligible chatter. She then repeats these words twenty or thirty times with relish to show off how smart she is.

*Nights of sleep that are uninterrupted by conversations such as the following:
husband sits up and leans over me in sheer panic: "Hold very still. There is a razor blade."
"Honey, I'm very sure that you are sleeping."
"No, it's between your legs."
Oh, he thinks the pillow is a razor blade (I sleep with one between my knees for support when pregnant.) How quaint.
"No, dear. You are sleeping."
He leans back, still concerned.
"Are you sure?"
"Yes, honey. Go back to sleep please. And quit trying to give your wife a heart attack in the middle of the night."
"Okay."
Goes back to sleep.

*When munchkin 1 goes to bed on time without complaint.

*A toilet that flushes with a mere depression of the lever.

*Imagining Gordon B. Hinckley and his dear sweet Marjorie together again.


*Reading a nice light-hearted romance like Mr. Darcy's Daughters, by Elizabeth Aston. I would give it a movie rating of PG-13 since it is more frank than I am accustomed to reading (in my ultra-conservative YA Lit junkie ways) about how much men love bosoms and young beautiful women in general. I liked the book because I had to look up many words, one of which is the current word of the whatever. And it made many references to 19th century British history, which I love. Aston did throw in more 20th century than Austen ever would have, but I still enjoyed the plot, characters and witty dialog of the narrative.

*When friends, relatives, loved ones, acquaintances, strangers, arch-nemeses, pretty much when anyone comments on my blog.

15 comments:

Leisha said...

Oh, I love it. You crack me up.

Heidi said...

I'd been waiting for a review of that novel before I read it.

Now I'll rush out and get it.

Rhett always says, "Do you think you should read books that would be 'R'-rated if they were movies?" And I'm always like, "Uh-huh, whatever, Mister-I-Made-My-Wife-Listen-To-
Metallica-Throughout-Our-Entire-Honeymoon.

I don't take advice from Metallica listners.

msjvd said...

Can she say her doll's name? How about the name of her mother's future basil plant? Hmmmm?? HMMMMM???

Anonymous said...

jenny- u so tender. hahaha you make me laugh too. everytime i read your amazingly talented writings that just seem to fill my heart with joy...:)

Jon & Angie Lewis said...

You fill my heart with joy :) - I enjoyed your post!

Dansie Family said...

i am glad you are so full of joy. i'll have to give the book a read after i finish eclipse (i convinced my mom to buy it at costco so i don't have to wait for the library copy) and fairest.

Brittany said...

I think you need to dedicate a blog specifically to stories of Alex's sleep-talking, etc. I can't believe you get any sleep at all. He's nuts. :)

Jon & Bridget said...

I am glad that I am not the only one that doesn't get full nights of sleep because of a husband. I swear he is having some sort of Nom flashback or something. Now I know who to talk to when I am frustrated. :)

Jill said...

I too like Boston, but I must really be out of it because I haven't heard that cd.
I also have joy in my heart when the toilet flushes, especially when all the water goes down because it is NOT clogged with too much toilet paper.

Good times.

Susan Vilate said...

Don't take back Mr. Darcy's Daughters yet! I'm still planning on coming to get it from you someday when I have time-so probably sometime in the next 20 years. But seriously I'm gonna come get it in the next day or two.

champy said...

Whoa! 11 comments! This calls for a Boston song!!!

champy said...

11 comments, my dream come true!

No, Grace can't say her doll's name. But until she says "Mama" consistently, we'll be diligently working on that.

And that wasn't a Boston CD. It was one song. On repeat. For 4 hours up there and 4 hours back. I know, crazy, huh? He judiciously elected not to tell me that until after we married. Wouldn't have changed things, but I would have got much more mileage out of it.

Jen said...

That was me, not Alex. Oops.

Nan said...

I'm so glad you posted about this book - I'm going out right now to buy it - please tell me that the Mr. Darcy described in the book looks exactly like Colin Firth?!?! He is the only Mr. Darcy I ever picture....shirtless....riding on horseback....sorry! And I also get a lot of joy from picturing Pres. Hinckley with his wife...very sweet indeed!

The Rookie said...

I will have to comment more frequently.

And, might I add, I lo-ooo-ove your book recommendations. I just went out and purchased Mr. Darcy's Daughters on half.com. It was 75 cents plus shipping...who can resist?