16 January 2008

What Dreams May (or may not) Come


Getting quality sleep cannot be overrated. The importance of good sleep sinks in for me every time I reach the later stages of pregnancy and have to interrupt my dreams or peaceful slumber with bathroom breaks more frequently than masculinely conceivable.

And speaking of the masculine mind, I am married to Mr. Crazy-when-asleep. There are many, many things I love about my dear husband. However, he has this quirky ability to carry on a totally irrational conversation in his sleep and sound perfectly serious and earnest. It's enough to make one question her sanity.

Last night we both slept fitfully due to the wind, which was causing us to worry that our giant pine tree in the front yard would blow over on our precious small daughter's room. So in the middle of the night (3:30 a.m. ish, to be precise) Alex pipes up, "Can you see that, honey?"
"See what, dear?"
"That."
"It's totally dark in here. I can't see anything."
"There's mud."
"What?"
At this point I am beginning to suspect...
"
Are you asleep?"
"No. Look, there's mud. It's right there."
"It's dark in here. I guess you'll have to show me in the morning."
"On the mattress."
"Well, how did it get there?" (thinking maybe using the logical part of his brain will wake him up)
"
Probably from us."
Yes, naturally. I step on the bed with my muddy shoes all the time. I guess it's time to wash the sheets if the mud is starting to wake him up, poor thing.
"I'm pretty sure you're asleep, hon."
"No. I'm serious."
"I need to go to the bathroom."
He turns on his mag flash light, causing me to wonder if he really is awake and I should turn on the light and change the muddy sheets, or if he is just considerate even when he is talking in his sleep.

When I returned, he was still convinced of the mud's presence, though apparently it didn't deter him from going back to sleep on the muddy mattress. Frankly, I was so tired that I didn't mind the mud either and soon drifted back to dreams of this really cool vintage red and white Toyota something-or-other.

6 comments:

Susan Vilate said...

That's hilarious! I was laughing so hard I was crying (of course that might have a lot to do with the fact that my throat is so swollen that it hurts really bad to laugh). But anyway that really was funny. I love your reactions to everything. Alex has some awesome sleeping habits. I love you Alex!

Heidi said...

This is the reason that I make my husband sleep in the guest room from the time that I become five months pregnant until the baby is two months old.

Rhett always starts grabbing at an imaginary baby that he is worried is going to fall of the side of the bed. It seems less important to him, however, that if there were a baby, he would have smashed its skull in with his frantic clutching and whacking.

I have to keep a close eye on him, even when he's sleeping. You, apparently, need to wash those sheets!

Leisha said...

I would be laughing, except I'm your husband in my relationship. Sometimes my dreams are so real I stop and wonder, "Did that really happen or was I just dreaming?" I was a real hoot at slumber parties.

You and my husband should start a support group.

Nic said...

Jennifer,

It's so true. Besides you, I'm one of the few other people ever to sleep with your husband. When we were children, after we had ceased to beat each other senseless during our pre-slumber arguments, we would drift off in the same manner as the Nephites who used to sleep by their swords for fear of Lamanite attacks. Well, even after falling asleep, the Lamanite sleeping next to me was just beginning his nightly speeches. He truly is a marvel.
It's no wonder that his rage knew no bounds when I used to put my cymbols next to his sleeping head and bang them with all my might. Oh, he would be furious. He would chase me out of his bedroom, not even thinking to get dressed. Can you imagine two boys running around the house, one in a bathrobe carrying a cymbol and a stick followed by a half-conscious mad-child in his boxers? I cherish those days.

Nic

Dansie Family said...

porter does the same thing. tom's favorite thing to do when he goes in for his last check of the night is to carry on a full, albeit cooky, conversation with porter.

msjvd said...

Ahhhhhhhhhhh! Dreamy! Thank you!