19 February 2008

Announcement

Since I will be gaining another child in the spring, I have decided to give one of my blogs the ax. Cruel, heartless, unfeeling? Maybe. But have no fear. I will now just be posting my photoshop adventures here on my normal blog. Because this blog just isn't scatterbrained enough. So today, I would like to share a gift with you all, in honor of the occasion:

This is a desktop background for your viewing pleasure in 1920 by 1080 aspect ratio. I think you can just right-click on the image and "save as" something, and then right click on the file and set as desktop background. (If you are using a mac, heaven, or google, or husband, or tech geek from the apartment down the hall help you because I have no idea how to set a desktop background there.)

Here is the image SOOC, or straight out of camera.


To achieve the desktop background, I did the following:
Used the Sepia toning action, which comes standard with Photoshop as far back as 7.0, at least.
Merged the visible layers (Shift + Ctrl + E or Layers > merge visible).
Increased the contrast and brightness by going to Image > image adjustments > brightness & contrast.
Used the spotlight effect from Filter > render > lighting effects.
Faded the spotlight effect under Edit > fade effect, probably to about 25%.
Selected the border with a 25 pixel feather and created a new layer.
Painted the layer dark brown with the paint bucket, using a brown I had selected from the picture with the ink dropper.
Merged the visible layers again.
I also sized it to 1920 by 1080, so it would fit our computer.
And voila'.

Hope that wasn't too boring for my non-photoshopaholic friends.

8 comments:

Melissa said...

I want Photoshop, but I'm afraid I am not smart enough to work it. My brain just doesn't work well with aspect ratios and such... :S Maybe if you post more of it here, I'll figure it out... maybe...

Queen Elizabeth said...

OK, I'm thinking about getting Photoshop - is it worth it? It sounds very confusing. But I love love love the photo you posted so I'm torn!!!

Dansie Family said...

we have a basic photoshop and i have only done a few things with it. i changed porter'e head in our christmas card photo. that was fun. i am excited to see what you do with it and how you do it. you will be a much better tutorial than any adobe offers.

Jen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen said...

Queen Elizabeth, We love photoshop. But we are like the unofficial family photographers and not-so-in-the-closet shutterbugs, so we get a lot of use out of it. There are versions you can get for under $100.00, and if you just want the basics, that's a pretty good deal. CS3 is probably overkill for most people.

msjvd said...

Ugh! Thank heavens you posted a new word of the day. I simply couldn't take it anymore!!

Jen said...

Hey, it's a word of the whatever, so I feel no guilt in leaving one up for too long. And lugubrious was up there for less than 24 hours.

Leisha said...

I heart Photoshop!