01 February 2008

Book Binge

After my Christmas reading fast, I seem to be on a book binge. I just finished The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards. The book was so well written, but I was so frustrated with some of the main characters the whole time I read it. I felt melancholy at what might have been as the lives unfolded. The book starts with a doctor who delivers his own twins. The second twin, a girl, has Down's Syndrome, so he sends a nurse to take her to an institution, but the nurse keeps the baby. The doctor tells his wife the girl died, and the rest of the book explores the implications of this dreadful act. The book provided amazing insight into human nature. While I was despondent as I read, I've noticed that now that I am done, I find myself deeply content and grateful that I am not living the life of any of those characters. So if you want to read this book, read quickly so you can get to the gratitude it instills afterward and avoid being dragged down to the depths of despair.

5 comments:

Angie Haugen said...

I felt the same way. It was a good read but very frustrating in that the characters couldn't stand up and share who they were deep down inside. The author does a good job of making the reader feel like the character's confidante. I would give it 3 1/2 stars.

Queen Elizabeth said...

Agree with your assessment and the comment. I call it the "It's a bestseller so it's gotta be good" trap - maybe those people haven't read something REALLY good (?!?!)

whirligigdaisy said...

I'm an avid reader and constantly looking for a good recommendation. So far, though, this book hasn't appealed to me. Maybe I'll skip it.

Jess said...

Amen! I read that book last year and felt the same way.

Gina said...

I couldn't agree with your analysis of the book more. The beginning of the book was SO interesting, but the last 2/3rd was so depressing!