02 February 2008

Help Wanted: Cup Nazi


Our vast cup supply recently came to my attention in an unpleasant manner. It was a dark and stormy evening, and I observed as I unloaded the dishwasher that I had been washing every cup in our supply almost every day. I am very familiar with myself, having lived with myself since I was born, and so I wondered, "Self, could you possibly the culprit in this villainy?"

You see, I have a problem. I leave cups everywhere. There is currently a white Crate and Barrel mug in our bathroom, which stayed there after Alex so lovingly brought me 7-up while I was soaking away some contractions several days ago. There have been known to be as many as four cups at a time on my dresser, because I bring a drink of water in at bedtime every night and then leave the cup there. My intimate loved ones can attest to this weakness of mine as well, because it was a point of contention even during my teenage years.

So naturally I would be the first suspect to investigate when cup washing proliferated. I set a little goal the next day that I would use only one cup all morning and just see what happened. I counted, and between breakfast and lunch I would have used five different cups. Because I would get a drink of water and put the cup in the dishwasher. Do something. Repeat the drink-cup-sink routine. Do something else. Repeat. You get the idea. I just left my one cup on the side of the sink and voila'. My life has changed. I'm a new woman. And now I don't have to wash every cup in our cupboard every day because I have stopped my own bad habit. I'm pleased as punch.

Now, if I could just get Alex to stop stealing the covers from me every night my life would be complete.

7 comments:

Susan Vilate said...

Haha! You sound like the little girl on Signs.

msjvd said...

I constantly use the same 7-11 take out cup. For the past two months.

Not to worry, though. I've washed it 3 times since bringing it home!

Leisha said...

My husband is this way with cups and dishes. There is a collection on our bathroom counter right now. (I think he thinks if he places them there that they *magically* get taken downstairs and washed. Pfffft.)

Dansie Family said...

i also have a collection on my nightstand. it appears when i am sick, pregnant or in the heat of the summer.

laceeJ said...

Hey, you sound normal! Well, normal in our family's world! I do the exact same thing! I'm also trying to not use our counter as a "catch-all". It's a family goal to keep that certain counter clear of all junk. So far (1 week experiment) we've done pretty good:) p.s. Did you have a hard time going down your parent's driveway last night with all the snow?

Jill said...

My children do that. All 4 of them! You can just imagine how many cups they use. I finally just started buying paper cups from Costco so I don't need to wash dishes as often. Now I just need to go to Costco frequently.

Jen said...

Yeah, that driveway was pretty treacherous when covered in several inches of snow!

Maybe I should get some costco cups, too... Actually, that might aggravate my problem.