29 February 2008

I Have a Dream. . .

Actually, I have many dreams. I thought I would share some with you today.

1. I dream that I could cook like my friend Mrs. Dansie. I feel certain that mealtime would be a joyous event every day if I were more talented in this area. What actually happens is a moment of dread that approaches most days at 4:00 in which I wonder what I planned for dinner and how much effort it will take to make. And most alarmingly, how will I get my fat pregnant body to stand up long enough to bring about familial culinary satisfaction? And are the dishes clean? Probably not.

2. In my dream land I would dress like someone from the Sartorialist every day. As opposed to how I actually dress right now, which generally includes the spirit of the following lovely ensemble:
3. This is a true confession: I have always wanted to set two people up and have them fall madly in love. As it is, I have set up two blind dates, ever. And neither one was a glittering success. The first one was bad enough that it took me about seven years to try again. It will probably be another seven years this time, too. It's not that the dates were disasters. I just cherish these secret hopes of sparkling stars and magic, and then the people are like, yeah, okay, whatever. No stars. No magic. No nothing. You can just call me Emma Woodhouse.

4. Last night as I was falling asleep, I had a vision of a magical spinach fruit roll-up that tasted like pina colada. I attribute this dream to my constant preoccupation with nutrition, my friend Nancy, who gave Grace a fruit roll-up when I went to visit her yesterday, and my secret obsession with perfecting the pina colada.

5. I have a dream today. I have a dream that one day, little two-year-old boys will be able to join hands with little two-year-old girls right here in Southern Utah as cousins and play happily together in streets of sunshine and happiness without having to fight over who gets to push the dolly in the red wheelbarrow.

Feel free to share your dreams with me. Because if we put them out there in the universe, maybe one day there will be pina colada fruit roll-ups with nutrition equivalent to a bowl of spinach.

13 comments:

Melissa said...

A dream? I dream that one day there will be no more coughing, snotty noses and fevers... oh, and that chocolate will be made into a food group. The one at the bottom of the pyramid... you know... the one you're supposed to eat the MOST of :)

Leisha said...

I think I may be able to help you in the pina colada department...if I can figure out where I put that recipe? It is DIVINE! One summer our blender never stopped whirring with coconut milk and pineapples!

mjsjvd said...

Is this a life long dream about Pina Coladas? Or something recent and related to cravings?

Why don't you find the perfect lasagna recipe and dish it off to the rest of us?

Jen said...

Leisha, you must post that recipe as soon as you find it. Or email it to me at jbramall at yahoo dot com.

The dream of the perfect Pina Colada began in Hawaii, where it is hard to find a bad one.

MSJVD, I thought you liked Pioneer Woman's Lasagna?

Queen Elizabeth said...

Can I make more than one dream? That winter ends SOON and that I find a house without a bigger mortgage that has 1000 more square footage (which just MAY entail a major relocation!)

Jon & Angie Lewis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jon & Angie Lewis said...

I dream of bikini-worthy washboard abs (not that I would wear one, but the abs would still be nice), a climate in which there is no such thing as wind chills, ice storms or temperatures in the negative, and a child who sleeps through the night and takes amazingly long naps so that he is happy and cheerful all the time. I'm not asking for much am I?

laceeJ said...

You really need to be writing some books with your imagination--and cravings!:) Seriously, I have to be like the 100000000th person that's told you that; just wanted to get on the list!

Jill said...

I have this dream that my children will WANT to clean the house, and that they will eagerly do it without being asked.
Homework too.
I also have a dream that this Sunday all seven darling little Sunbeams in my primary class will be happy to be there. I dream that none of them will cry for their Mommies, jump off their chairs, kick anyone, or leave "accident" puddles on the floor.

I also dream of being a size 7.

Heidi said...

Last night I dreamed that I learned to ski and I WAS FABULOUS! Except that really would be a dream, because my coordination is not exactly stellar.

I also dream that my husband would stop vomiting in the shower. It makes it really hard to want to shower.

Susan Vilate said...

Gee wiz! Look how many comments you got! That's awesome!

champy said...

I fully intend to quit stealing the covers when my wife quits stealing the sheets. . . these are our demands. . . you have 48 hours. . .

Jules said...

I would like chocolate to have zero calories and children to never get sick. Small things I know, but I'm having a MOMENT here...