07 February 2008

Keep the Hard Drive Happy in Three Easy Steps

We are having some joy around these parts with a bad hard drive that we bought for Christmas. While Alex is spending his spare time disemboweling and reassembling the computer, I have come up with a few ideas to help whatever hard drive we have next reach a happy place, so that it won't decide to commit a violent suicide, as this one apparently wishes to do. (but hasn't yet. keep fingers crossed.)
First, stack some rocks on top in a vertical pile, as pictured above. This is to help the hard drive to remember the importance of keeping balance, thus enabling inner serenity.
Second, give the hard drive time to rest each day. Maybe get it a pet frog, so that it can have someone to vent to when too much video is being edited, causing stress and disharmony in poor hard drive's peaceful universe.

Finally, make sure that you use a feathery fan and kneel before the hard drive once a day, providing it with a gentle breeze. While you fan the hard drive, you might want to tell it all the things you love about it. Some of the following examples might help:

"I really appreciate the way you store all of my picture of my cute child (family, self, loved ones, friends, quilts, [insert appropriate whatever]) so that I don't have to spend one million dollars at Walmart in printing costs."

"I feel so grateful that you love us so much, and would never want to crash and lose all of those pictures of cute little Grace, along with every paper or work Alex and I have ever written and cared enough to save for the past ten years."

"Thank you so much for allowing Alex to edit video for his Dad's show, and then not melting and losing a bajillion hours' worth of his editing sweat and tears."

"You're the best." (Be sure to use the Nacho Libre voice for "the best". It really helps emphasize your point.)

"We love and care for you, and promise to always keep you properly ventilated so you don't overheat and gain a case of multiple personality disorder."

Hope these help.

7 comments:

Susan Vilate said...

I'm so sorry for both or your sakes. I hope it all works out-and quickly. Loves!

Heidi said...

Wow. My hard drive doesn't get near the respect he (it?) deserves.

Must reform in the future.

Queen Elizabeth said...

Love it!

Dansie Family said...

sorry for your woes. maybe it is because you lent me your firewire. i will return it promptly with a thank you goodie.

Heidi said...

Gave you an award, because if we can't be neighbors, it's probably the next best thing.

JustRandi said...

WOW! I had no idea keeping a hard drive was so much work. I guess I need to run to the frog store now!

Leisha said...

We have had similar hard drive issues...I bought an external hard drive to store everything on 'just in case'. Now that my hard drive knows that we have her backed up at any given time, she is much less 'prissy'about being fanned and keeping her inner serenity in line. Good luck!