23 February 2008
The Salad of Manmpions
Alex has graciously allowed me to post the recipe for his amazing taco salad, which even men like to eat.
2 lb hamburger
1 packet taco seasoning
1/2 yellow onion, minced
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1 1/4 cups cooked calrose rice
dash of ground red pepper
Doritos (Nacho Cheese or Cool Ranch)
sour cream or ranch dressing
anything else you might like on the salad (corn, olives, whatever--except definitely not bacon bits. Or garbanzos. Yuck.)
Brown hamburger and sprinkle taco seasoning over it. Add onion and green pepper and cook 'til onions are almost clear. Add rice and sprinkle red pepper over all. (Heavy if you like it hot, easy if you don't). Now you have what Alex affectionately refers to as "beef flavored meat food."
Now, you need to follow the next few steps very carefully:
1. Place a pile of chips on your plate and crush them with your fork or bare hands. If using bare hands, proceed to go wash Dorito junk off of hands immediately thereafter.
2. Pile beef flavored meat food on top of crushed Doritoes.
3. Place cheese on top of meat mix. This order is important because now the hot part can melt your cheese. These important details should not be overlooked.
4. Layer that vegetable stuff or dressing or whatever else you want on top.
5. Enjoy with gusto and relish (and guacamole, if it suits your fancy).
*Note: Yes, we are aware that the plate of salad pictured was assembled incorrectly. You will notice the chips are on top of the beef flavored meat food. This salad was made from leftovers, so the meat had to be heated prior to adding the chips. You can try this at home, because the recipe makes a beefload of salad fixin's, so leftovers are likely.