12 March 2008

Helpful Hint

Just in case you were wondering, the proper way to toast wheat germ is not to do it under the broiler in your oven. Wheat germ is highly flammable. And I'm not talking about the Strongbad
highly flammable which means "totally awesome" to those of us born in the seventies and early eighties. I am talking about having literal flames erupt in your oven.

Then you will have to call your mother as quickly as possible to ask about the proper way to put out flames in your oven. (She will probably recommend throwing baking soda on it). Luckily, if you are only trying to toast a 1/4 cup of wheat germ, it will have burned into black oblivion and the flames will go out just as Mom picks up the phone. Just in case you were wondering. I know I was.

PS. If you watch any Strongbad emails, the montage one is my all-time favorite.

8 comments:

Melissa said...

Wheat germ... is that a germ you get from wheat? Sounds like a bad idea try and toast it... a very bad idea... ;)

Jill said...

Thanks for the handy tip.

Here's one for you.
If your children are making themselves Easy Mac-n-cheese in the microwave, be sure that they understand how important it is to put water in the macaroni when cooking it. Also, you should probably stay in the kitchen while it is cooking, because if for some reason, they do forget the water in the macaroni, you won't find out about the problem until one of the children walks calmly into your office to inform you that the microwave has a fire in it. (and from clear across the house it only smells slightly like burnt toast)

I honestly had no idea that macaroni was flammable.

It completely melted the bottom out of my son's favorite yellow tupperware bowl, and it took weeks for the smell to go away.

Susan Vilate said...

Golly! Did that really happen? That's kind of scary!

Leisha said...

Wait...you have time to toast wheat germ? You're my new hero!

Heidi said...

Ha. I don't feel so bad about my pizza, now.

Brittany said...

Hmm. Another thing some people might like to know is that in some new apartments, there is a broiler built-in to the bottom "drawer" of the oven. Therefore, it can be very bad if you put all your new wedding-gift-pots and pans in that drawer and turn on the broiler of the oven....
I love the way you write. You are amazing.

Jon & Angie Lewis said...

I can't say that I've ever used wheat germ...but I'll definitely take note!

Dansie Family said...

sounds like a fun lesson.