04 March 2008

More Fun with Dick and Jane





Some of you may remember the quilt I was making for Henry. Well, I finished it a few days ago. I made the startling discovery that if when you sew the binding down you sew all three layers (top, batting, and back of quilt) together, when you fold over your binding strip, it sews down way easier than if you sew the binding strip only to the top of the quilt. (Notice neat corner in picture # 4.) Duh. Hello. Is anybody there? Apparently I'm not. I can't believe I didn't catch that from the online tutorial I used when I first figured out how to bind "for reals." I looked at the tutorial again today, and this info is totally there. It's just such a basic thing that she didn't explicitly mention it, though the pictures demonstrate it correctly. She just doesn't realize the kind of obtuseness she is dealing with in her audience (aka me.) Do you realize how much embarrassment this knowledge could have saved me in the quilts I have given away? I am no stranger to humble pie, but that doesn't mean I have to like the taste of it.

Anyhow, I thought the binding fabric was so cute that I had to post more pictures. I did the back out of scraps, ala Blanche Young, and I am very pleased with the H for Henry. He better not turn out to be an Etta.

9 comments:

Susan Vilate said...

That is beautiful! You are such a gifted little bee, or whatever quilting people are called. I lack the patience, skill, or creativity that you have to do all these things. You're amazing! Loves!

Leisha said...

Holy Freaking Cuteness... Make me one--Make me one! Pretty Please! LOL! Your talent far outreaches mine, I have zero patience for sewing. I got a "C" in home ec. and my teacher asked if the holes in my sweatshirt arm pits were "air conditioning"! LOL. I'm so jealous.

Brittany said...

I love it! And just so you know, when it comes to sewing, I am definately more obtuse than you are at this time. I would still love to have you walk me through the process of quilting sometime when I'm down. I'd owe you something big after that, but I'll figure that out too.
Love ya!

Queen Elizabeth said...

Love the quilt - that takes talent! (I just realized that you responded to my "Photoshop Question" a while ago - I'd just never checked. Newsflash: I'm a little slow :)

Jon & Angie Lewis said...

It looks great! Way to go for all your hard work. My first quilt was for Christopher & I was pretty proud of myself. I need to try again and improve. I'll have to check out the binding tutorial because that was the hardest part!

Dansie Family said...

i dream i could make a quilt like you.

Heidi said...

Obtuseness is actually genius, being modest.

That's what I tell myself anyway--gorgeous quilt!

The Rookie said...

I bow down! THAT is a beautiful quilt. I sewed a pillow case in seventh grade and that was more than enough sewing for me.

msjvd said...

Your slowness does NOT come from my side of the family. :P