08 April 2008

Death By Cookie

The illustrious Mrs. Dub has inspired this post about my current favorite cookie. I have been meaning to post this recipe for some time because it is so good. If I were condemned to die and got to choose the method, it might be by eating these cookies until I was transported by joy to heaven.

Toasted Coconut Cookies.
1 cup flaked coconut (the big beautiful flaky stuff)

1 cup butter or butter flavor shortening (I did a stick of butter and 1/2 cup shortening)
½ cup light brown sugar
½ cup sugar
1 tbsp. vanilla
1 large egg
¾ tsp coconut extract (if desired. I used extra vanilla and they were still marvelous)

1-1/2 cups rolled oats
1-1/4 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. baking soda
1 to 2 cups chocolate chips (Listen to your heart on how much chocolate).

Preheat oven to 350. Toast coconut on the stovetop. I did mine at medium to med-hi, and it timed well as I mixed the other stuff. Make sure you stir or shake the pan a little.
Meanwhile mix shortening and sugars, vanilla, coconut extract & egg in a mixer on low speed. Mix dry ingredients together and add to the mixer.

Stir in chocolate chips and coconut. Bake at 350 for 8 to 14 minutes, depending on how big you make the cookies. I did heaping tablespoonfuls, and they took about 12 minutes.

And Voila'. Flaky, crispy, chewy goodness. If you want this recipe in an un-illustrated version, email me at jbramall at yahoo dot com.

8 comments:

Jessi said...

My mouth is watering!!! I am going to have to try this recipe. (And for very selfish reasons.... My kids don't like coconut. I could have as many as I wanted without having to fight my kids for them!) :)

Melissa said...

We have a VERY similar recipe... but you don't toast the coconut and you put 1 cup white chocolate chips and 1 cup semi sweet. Soooo good!!

Mrs. Dub said...

complete with photos? and you called me "illustrious"? kudos to you ... and cookies to come!

Dansie Family said...

they look delish! i need to try them and then eat them all because tom doesnt like coconut.

Dansie Family said...

is that sweetened or unsweetened coconut?

Susan Vilate said...

I'm afraid those cookies really don't sound that enticing to me. I'll just have to trust your judgement.

Angie Lewis said...

I have to agree with your friend Susan...I'm not a fan of coconut, but I do like cookies :)

Jen said...

The coconut is unsweetened, as far as I can tell. And I'm delighted at the non-coconut fans. More cookies for me. Bwa ha ha ha.