01 April 2008

More filter fun

My sister Em the highly successful fashion diva mortgage lender extraordinaire came down this weekend. She had mentioned needing some professional portraits, so I offered to snap a few for her. I only had a black background, so we got some colored poster paper and had a blast. I had just read over at Pioneer Woman that north facing light is very nice, so we took the photos using some of that. Here is one of the images straight out of camera (SOOC). I was really happy with that light.
After this, we cropped it and made it all professional-like. I think I clone stamped out the poster line in the back for the nicer ones. But Emily has a dramatic flair, so we had some fun with the artistic filters in photoshop, too. For the one below we used the cutout filter, which is under Filter > artistic > cutout. You can play around with how sharp or dull the photo is with the simplicity, fidelity, and levels sliders once the filter is initially on the photo.
Just make sure you do a "Save as" because once you've saved these changes on your photo, you can't get the original back.

She was a great subject. She said, "Make me laugh." I said, "What do you want me to say?" She then inquired as to the state of my gastrointestinal health. Naturally we both couldn't stop laughing after that, because 8 months of pregnancy and metamucil-like regularity definitely don't go hand in hand. It's nice to laugh about things that just don't seem that funny sometimes. I'll just leave it at that.

By the way, if you want to try out a version of photoshop before purchasing it, you can download several different versions at www.adobe.com/downloads. Also, Adobe is launching a beta version of a "free photoshop" called Photoshop Express at this website. I read one criticism that it's like calling "notebook" microsoft word. But it might be worth a try if you are interested. Alex says he thinks you have to "join" to get the beta version, whatever that means.

2 comments:

Dansie Family said...

you never cease to amaze me with all your talent and energy. i'd like to have a little more of both, especially during my pregnancies.

Melissa said...

Sigh... I still want photoshop!!!