29 May 2008

Adventures in Sleep Deprivation

Isn't Henry sweet when he's asleep? Don't you just want to rip your hair out because you know that as soon as you go lie down he will start fussing and want to be fed, regardless of how recently you fed him or how deeply he seems to be sleeping? Oh wait, that's just me. The sleep deprivation has officially set in and affected my thinking patterns.

Does anyone know the appropriate sacrifice for the nap gods? I am becoming more certain every day that I have profoundly offended them. I tried to nap three times this afternoon. Henry needed food 15 minutes into the first two attempts, and poor Miss Grace awakened from her nap needing her nose blown 15 minutes into the last attempt. Normally it's okay for me to miss a nap. But when Henry stays up til 3:30, I come to prize the blessed rest more.

So what is it going to take, ye gods of daytime slumber, for me to once again enter your benevolence? I make really good granola. Shall I sprinkle some for you on my driveway beneath a full moon? Do you require something a little more substantial? Such as a child? Because I have two of them now. I'm sure Alex wouldn't mind if I used the spare. . .*

*Yes, there is a little voice telling me not to succumb to any pagan sleep sacrifice rituals. And the voice of reason will probably prevail. But the other voice is tempting right now. Oh, it's tempting.

12 comments:

Hey It's Di said...

I remember those days of infants and toddlers and sleep was such a scarce but badly needed thing! You reach a point when you almost can't be realistic or civil for that matter, when starved of sleep. You need to get somebody to come and watch the kids while you get a good & long nap!

Oh yeah, and sprinkle the granola as a sacrifice. I am sure that will please the gods. Makes us happy right?

Queen Elizabeth said...

I think that if you eat a few M&Ms (your choice) before you try and take a nap, that will appease the gods. (Can't hurt, right?)

Good luck!!!

The Rookie said...

Reason #3482 that I will be a terrible mother:

...and along came Benadryl.

Dansie Family said...

Send grace to my house. oh, and i owe you some cookie dough for your generous donation. i'll try to remember to bring it today.

SpecialK said...

I will send good vibes your way. Maybe some of my good luck can be sent to you. Eli has been sleeping much better lately and only wakes up twice, once around 3am and again around 6am. Even if it results with Eli not sleeping well,here are the vibes...emmmmmmm...I sure hope it helps.

Angie Lewis said...

Best wishes...I remember the days all too well (and sometimes we relive them even after 7 months...). If you find out the appropriate sacrifice, please be sure to share that knowledge with the rest of us!

laceeJ said...

earplugs are great! You don't hear anything but Alex might! he he

www.potsandpins.com said...

Hi Jen - I have a question for you...last year my mom visited a diner in a little town somewhere on the east side of Zion's Park and it was about 5 or 6 miles from the east gate and there was a little corner restaurant with "eats" (she is dictating this to me...) and they made the most delicious coconut cream pie in the world. Would you happen to know the name of the town or the restaurant? Then my mom thinks she is going to call them up and ask for the recipe and that they'll give it to her...I hate to burst her bubble! For whatever you can find out - thanks! Oh...my mom just said it would be worth a day trip for you to go and find it for her...I think she means she would "reward" you...but I can't verify that! Thanks! Nan

Leisha said...

I feel ya sister. If I lived closer I'd watch your kids while you napped (but only if you sprinkled me with granola!)

mommy princess said...

Oh...boy do I feel you. Sophie was doing just fine and then her teeth had to come in. I havn't had a decent nights sleep for a month. And do you think I ever get a nap durring the day??? Not with 3 and 5 year old boys who force me to sleep with one eye open anyway. (I need to get that darn lock for the pantry!!)Lately the only place I can get the kids to take a good nap is in the van! This doesn't help me much because I'm DRIVING! Maybe I should go on a nice long drive that puts them all to sleep and then go park in the shade somewhere and take a nap too!!
P.S. I'll watch your kids for granola!!

betsey said...

Hi Jen,

Thanks for the comment on my blog, I would have responded earlier, but I was busy moving to Cleveland, Ohio. That is right. We moved to Cleveland :) I'm so glad that you found my blog so that I can now read about all the adventures of the Chamberlain family, your kids are so cute I want to squish their adorable little cheeks! I love babies! Give Alex my best and good luck with the sleep deprivation. I think granola seems to be an appropriate sacrifice, nutritious and delicious!

The Motherboard said...

I feel your pain. I really really do.
If you figure out what to sacrifice to the sleep Gods, let me know. I have a new baby too.
sigh.

I am willing to even donate my left earlobe if that will help.