20 May 2008

Blogosophy

Her Majesty recently posted her recipe for a good blog, so I thought I'd add my two cents to hers. I definitely agree with all of her ingredients for a good blog, except my shallow personality (yes, I have several personalities) loves loves loves it when I see lots of comments. In my deep heart of hearts, I'm okay with no or few comments. But when everyone else has something to say about it, I am so happy to hear it.

I really like these things also:

1. Useful information, such as recipes and photoshop tutorials. Pioneer Woman's site has helped me out a lot in both of these areas. Lizzard Tales often posts yummy recipes with great pictures. I also like Pots and Pins because she has such frequent recipes and she loves quilting, as I do. I could go on and on about these interesting blogs because there is a great adoption blog and one with good poetry, but if you want all of them, just surf the blogroll.

2. I love it when most or all of the posts on a blog would make any liquid squirt out of my nose from laughter if I were so foolhardy as to drink while reading. I never read Hadleyesque and drink at the same time for this reason. Sometimes I wish I could judiciously avoid drinking anything around Alex for the same reason. He likes to press advantages this way to my detriment.

There are lots of other things I like, but I need to go make dinner now. So I will conclude with this cute picture of Grace:

Because a mediocre entry can be much improved by a cute picture of a two-year-old. And also because it reminds me to be grateful that she is so cute. Then I am not angry when I find that she has taken all of the clothes out of her dresser and spread them all over her floor while quietly "napping." Also, it helps that she has placed half of her shirts, onesies, and a skirt around her neck in a huge bunch that makes her look like a warped flower with a child's face in the middle.

11 comments:

Queen Elizabeth said...

Good philosophy!

And don't let me fool you - I LOVE comments! (They validate my blog-xistence!)

The Rookie said...

I am such a sucker for comments.

I will add to this recipe for a good blog that you have to be able to read the blasted thing. There are two separate elements in the readability factor:

First off (and maybe this is the English teacher in me), doing a quick read-through before pushing "Publish" would improve my experience vastly. Everybody has a type-o now and again--especially me. But enough is enough. When I can't quite decipher what you were even TRYING to say, you have a problem.

Second in the readability issue (and this one is my biggest blogging pet peeve) I am irritated by poorly selected backgrounds which inhibit me from reading the words. Am I the only one who thinks this? Decorations are nice, but c'mon people!

Thank you for allowing me to vent (via the lovely comment window which I adore) on your blog.

Hey It's Di said...

I'm into getting comments on my blog too. There is just great joy when you click on and see higher numbers isn't there?

Good pictures, recipes, crafts and funny stories always pull me in. I too love Pioneer Woman and I also try NOT to drink liquid when reading some funny bloggers blogs. But if something has to come out your nose, water is the least painful!

Angie Lewis said...

I agree with you on the comments...there is something so validating in receiving comments - if I look at my blog and there are no comments, I almost instantly think, "Oh...no one is reading my blog" (though this isn't necessarily true, it is my mind-set nonetheless)! I also agree that pictures make the blog...who wouldn't love to see a cute pic of Grace?! It definitely made my blog-reading experience better today! :)

The Lemmon's said...

Your's is definitely one of those blogs to not read while drinking. You have such a fun sense of humor and I love to find out what you have to say about things. The pictures are always adorable!

Heidi said...

Hey, Veevs had that same shirt as your Grace! I love it.

Also, I would say a blog should have a word of the whatever. It's one of my favorites.

Dansie Family said...

good recipe. i started posting recipes because that is what i like to look for on a blog. plus it's nice to go back and remember when i tried a good recipe.

and i am totally with you on comments. thanks for commenting so often on mine.

oh and i don't love the word verification. i mess them up too often.

Susan Vilate said...

I love funny blogs too. That's why I love yours. ;)

Leisha said...

Whatever the formula is...you are doing it right, I read your blog more often than others!

www.potsandpins.com said...

I just realized that I hadn't put your blog in my blogroll...and that's going to be fixed promptly! YOU are hysterical and witty and I always leave feeling better....of course, I don't have a 2 year old emptying their dresser at my house - but I can sympathize!! Thanks for the plug - I too love comments but rarely leave them - now I'll try to be better about it - it's always nice to know what someone thinks! Love the picture of Grace- she is a doll. Nan

Melissa said...

There are so many good blogs out there... I really try to read the ones that entertain me to some extent!