16 June 2008

Special

I have raided Alex's special box in an effort to find a note that I wrote him in junior high. His box contains things that are of sentimental value to him, and that sentimentality is another reason I love him. I did find the note eventually, after also discovering a pearl earring (pretty sure it's mine), a rubber snake (I have no idea), three candy canes (two of which were in an envelope), a sock with his name and a red bell drawn on it in permanent marker, and a handout entitled What Message is Sent by Good Manners? (I also love him for his politeness.)

Since we grew up in a very rural area, political correctness was still allowed to slide when we were in middle school, and we held an annual "Maid Day" and "Slave Day." During these student body sponsored events, boys and girls could tag each other and have a "maid" or "slave" for a day. Alex tagged me for maid day one year, so I naturally reciprocated on slave day with the instructions pictured above, which also included a towel. Here is an excerpt for your entertainment:

Sweet Revenge (I apparently had a flair for the dramatic.)

Alex,

Here are your instructions. Whenever you see me, bow down, take the towel and put it in front of me so I can walk over it. I'll tap you on the head and then you can stand up and ask how you may be of service.

Whenever you hear my name stand if you are sitting or sit if you are standing and sing "Hallelujah."

Whenever someone asks who tagged you, tell them, "My master--Jennifer Marie Bramall. Isn't that great?" Remember to say it with feeling.

Whenever you see Mr. Poulsen tug at his pants, stand up and wave at him. (Alex probably had to do this a lot. Mr. Poulsen was always tugging at his trousers. Perhaps our band director had a very bad tailor?)

Take a poll of at least 15 people on the following question: Do you like green eggs and ham?

Now you know why he wanted to be my personal slave for the rest of our lives. What's not to like?

14 comments:

www.potsandpins.com said...

okay - that's hilarious! Hilarious that he KEPT it!! I loved the part where you instructed him to "say it with feeling!" You were brilliant even back then! Nan

The Yoder's Three said...

HA! I had forgotten all about Slave Day and Maid Day. How classic.

You should have made Alex stand up every time Mr. Poulsen would be droning on and on (while we were sitting there wondering when we were ever going to start rehearsing) and also when he'd make some random chicken scratch on the white board. Never figured out why he'd do that. Alex would have been standing the whole hour.

Melissa said...

That is awesome!! I love that he kept it! I don't think I have any notes from high school...

Angie Lewis said...

That is great - he must have liked you a lot to keep the note and then to marry you even after he knew what a slave driver you'd be! :)

Hey It's Di said...

Awww! That is too cool that you were all hooking up in Middle School. I love the letter and you are a riot! I'm sure he was hooked right from the beginning with you and your creative/dramatic nature:)

The Rookie said...

It was clearly meant to be.

Jon & Bridget said...

Wow... that brought back many memories. Not that I like to think about Middle school often, but it is nice every once in awhile. :) How is mom x2 treating you? JT just turned 1 and I am thinking I am so not ready for another one. lol It must get easier or something. Talk to you soon. :)

Corrine said...

that is so cool that he has kept those notes. And y'all have all those fun memories.

(i found you from Diane's blog)

Dansie Family said...

hilarious! and i agree even funnier that he kept it. all tom kept from those days are the articles he wrote for the school paper and maybe a his running and academic awards.

michelle said...

Jenny that is hilarious! I love the signed poll at the bottom about green eggs and ham LOL

Heidi said...

Truly, what's not to like? I hope you still make him do stuff like that.

Brittany said...

This is hilarious. I had no idea. Alex is also a private person, you can thank him for not sharing this with his little sister. It's pretty cute.

Angie said...

So fun that you two have such a long history! I didn't even know you were writing him when we were comps! You definitely made me smile. See --> :)

Kevin M. said...

Gravity has a profound effect on that man (Mr. P.). I don't blame his pants for what they did. There's only so much tailors can do...