21 July 2008

Doggerel

In an effort to avoid descent to full blown whining in the rants, I have written the following poem, in the lofty form of doggerel. (Badness is where I shine, writing-wise.)

A mother hasn't chosen a glamorous career.
The job's especially hard on a thin derriere.
Frequently she wipes smeared jelly and peanut butter,
And courageously she conquers many mountains of clutter.
Constantly diapers and clothes require changing.
Schedules, meals, and wild hairs need arranging.
"Why didn't I stick with business?" she wonders,
as her kids clap in church and commit various social blunders.
Sometimes when her kids are refraining from sleeping,
she googles for methods of prevention of weeping.
Then stinky bear baby boy falls asleep in her lap,
and her heart melts into a puddle of sap.
She remembers that sometimes motherhood is sweet as honey,
and though sorely tempted, she wouldn't trade her kids for a hummer full of money.

Thank you. Thank you. Please, hold your applause.

8 comments:

Angie Lewis said...

Hey, I was impressed...I couldn't come up with something that good! Maybe you should make a book of poems...

Jill said...

Very nice!
I bow to your greatness.

Lori said...

Thanks for the reminder that what I do really is a job and hard work. I wonder sometimes why I am so tired and cranky?! I am just starting to feel the joys of being a mother and having a sappy heart, etc...

Dansie Family said...

what a great poet you are. motherhood is grand even if it sucks some of the time.

www.potsandpins.com said...

First jogging and then poetry? Why not just go straigt to Thorazine? You need to get a grip girl! While the poem is great, I simply cannot condone jogging..what were you thinking?!?! You know it's just a matter of time before the weight falls off...I'm sure mine will any day now! xoxo, Nan

The Rookie said...

Bravo! Bravo! And people say you can't do much with an English Degree. Bah! What do they know?

Hey It's Di said...

WOW! You are amazing! I've never been good at poems OR writing at all for that matter. You hit the nail on the head with motherhood.

myimaginaryblog said...

"Hummer full of money" -- what a captivating image, and resonant diction. (But, regarding this poem as a whole, I think maybe you shouldn't quit your day job.)