12 August 2008

At Home in Hurricane

I finished this book last night. The book delighted me in the same way the Anne of Green Gables series did. It belongs to the gentle fiction genre, so it was G rated. The structure is episodic, like the Anne series, and also centers around a lovable character. Rather than a rascally red-head, we are dealing with an aging Episcopalian minister who has a large number of life changes thrown at him as the book progresses, beginning with a big black dog. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes the Anne Shirley series by L.M. Montgomery, and I look forward to checking the next one out soon.

I also picked up a Phyllis A. Whitney book and am starting it next. Anyone read her? I'm pretty sure I read one as a teenager, but I really can't remember much about whatever it was.

4 comments:

potsandpins said...

I loved these books - they were clean and comforting and full of great "wisdom"...Father Tim is practically a genius if you ask me! My mom bought me the Mitford Cookbook for Christmas last year and the recipes are wonderful - I love the orange marmalade cake that turns up everywhere...I might just have to make that today!

Amy said...

I love Phyllis A. Whitney. I started reading her books when I was about 12. She is a lot like Mary Higgins Clark, but I like her plots better.

msjvd said...

I particularly love these books. I've read about six of them now. And... I still don't have a Mitford cookbook.

P&P, have you actually made the orange cake or... do you just love the fact that the cake is mentioned everywhere in the books?

Lori said...

Thanks for the suggestion! I love Anne of Green Gables and look forward to reading this series.