04 August 2008

Good News, Bad News

The good news is, we have two reasons to celebrate this week. The bad news is, they involve causing trouble to our diets.

Reason #1 to celebrate: Alex lost his job. He has hated this job these many years, and we are so relieved because now he is going to get an awesome better paying job that he doesn't loathe.

Still, since it is my job as wife and mother to two to worry when such events take place, I made these corn flake treats to comfort myself the night after the big news. (Pamy, you'll probably want to avert your eyes from both of these recipes.)

1/2 stick butter
1/2 bag marshmallows
whopping dollop of Peanut butter
corn flakes

Melt butter on low to medium heat. Add marshmallows and melt as well. Add peanut butter and stir around. Pour in corn flakes. Grease small pan or large plate and pour yummy sticky mess on the thing. Eat with a glass of milk until you feel better that your husband is currently unemployed. (Is this blog appropriate to the economic situation, or what!?)


Reason #2: My awesome husband is one year closer to thirty this year. Since he was born in one of the hottest months of the year, his instincts have told him that yogurt pie is the best birthday treat for him.

1 container frozen whipped topping
2 6oz. containers yogurt
1 graham cracker crust
Stir first two ingredients together. Place in crust. Freeze. Enjoy.

11 comments:

Simply, Sarah said...

I'm sorry about the job loss. What kind of work does he do? I can always help other people find jobs in WA, but you probably don't want to relocate...

Jessi said...

I'm sure an awesome better paying job is right around the corner. In the meantime, enjoy your treats. (And thanks for sharing the recipes!)

Jill said...

A few days ago, I was thinking about corn flake treats similar to yours, but I couldn't find my recipe. Mine used Karo syrup instead of corn flakes. They are tasty. Have you ever poured melted chocolate on top of them?

Sorry to hear about the job loss. We had a neighbor who lost his job twice in two years, and each time he got a new job, it was much better and payed more.

Hang in there.

Amy said...

Sorry to hear about Alex losing his job. I am wishing him (and you)the best of luck in finding that new perfect, fulfilling, exciting to be there everyday job! I know the feeling of having an unemployed husband, but isn't it great to know you married a great guy who has very marketable skills. Could be worse!:)

Hey It's Di said...

Sorry to hear about the job. . but you are right with there being a better job right out there.

I will find any excuse to eat good stuff. In fact, reading your blog is reason enough for a snack.

betsey said...

That yogurt pie looks amazing! And sounds like the perfect summer treat!

Job loss stinks, but you are right, it gives him a great opportunity to find something new and better! Which I'm sure he will do in no time.

auntie dearest said...

Geez, puhleeze, Louise!

I look away for a day or two and you add three blog postings including RECIPES??

You clearly are a spiteful niece!

Happy Birthday Alex and I hope the wench doesn't ever do something so inconsiderate as to post when you aren't looking!

PS: Offering prayers for your job hunt and mine. ;)

www.potsandpins.com said...

So sorry to hear about the job! What does your hubby do? If he's a computer anything and you want to relocate to Washington I can hook you up with some people - 3/4's of my ward works for Microsoft and the rest of them work for MS spinoffs...now, about those recipes...I've printed them off and am going to make them both - they sound delicious! I'm sure I've had the bars before but not the pie....thanks and good luck!

Leisha said...

That stinks about his job, but I see you "cope" as I do! Make something comforting and eat until the seratonin levels start to rise in my brain! (or...something like that?) I'm sure it is a good opportunity to escape the hell he's been living!

The Rookie said...

Sorry about the job news! He is. He is going to get a much better job.

And you are a wicked, wicked woman tempting me with these so-simple-even-I-could-make-that recipes.

Dansie Family said...

you have a great attitude. and now maybe it means you guys should go back to school. weren't you thinking about that? too bad the economy is the way it is.