28 August 2008

Helpful Hints


Here are a few helpful hints I've picked up during the last little while:

1. If you try to take a family picture with more than one child involved and want everyone to be smiling, you will have to take 5 to 10 shots for each child. Of the forty shots for 4 children, only one will work for each. The four shots will be mutually exclusive, which will necessitate multiple head replacements in photo shop. And one of your brothers' collars might look a little seventies-ish as a result. And your daughter might appear to be smiling and plugging her ears at the same time. So Awesome with a capital A.

2. Linen or linen-look clothing does not mix well with children under five. Linen especially hates nursing babies who grab shirts and deviously wrinkle with their cute dimpled little fists. It does not matter how much starch or ironing-time the linen gets. There will be wrinkles. You will look like you took a nap on a pile of wrinkly grocery bags by, oh, about 10:00 a.m.

3. Crayon comes off of hard surfaces best with a dry rag. Water inhibits the scrubbing process. "Hard surfaces" include laminate flooring, hard furniture, and walls. Probably a few more surfaces than that, but I have quarantined all crayons in our house to the top of the microwave where they will be staying for oh, about a week. So hopefully we won't be discovering more surfaces any time soon.

This quarantine will be extended to all of the crayons which Grace has sneakily hidden in sundry places throughout the house, including under her bed, in the couch cushions, in her potty chair, and any other place I discover one of the nasty little strays.

Hope these help.

PS. My ten year reunion is this weekend. Why do so many people act like they would rather be caught dead than attend? Was it really that bad? I mean, it wasn't even the eighties, people!

7 comments:

Amy Huntington said...

HAHA I really liked the bit about Grace. She's a sneaky child, isn't she? I remember hiding my pacifier in all sorts of weird places, including the bottom drawer of the fridge. I wasn't ready to give that up!

The family picture looks great! Photoshop is my favorite thing in the world! Everyone is gorgeous, love you all!

Hey It's Di said...

What did we all do before Photoshop? We all looked like crap that's what! (and had only one child actually looking at the camera)

I have a love/hate relationship with Linen. For some reason, I tend to pick up clothing that is linen and love it. Then I realize it's Linen and I'm over it. I hate that garbage bag look. It's so overated!

Hey! I resemble that graduated in the 80s part and I still go to my reunions. I loved high school though.

Angie Lewis said...

Family pictures are rather hilarious because you try to portray a beautiful and perfect family, but reality always shines through :)

sammygrace said...

hahahhaha. you crack me up. awesome with a capitol A hahahaha. HAHAHA with a capital H and A! haha. just fyi, your invite you might be regretting because starting soon i might just be hanging at your house, and pretty much everyone's houses 24/7 so watch out!

The Rookie said...

I am in awe of your Photoshopping skill.

Your daughter is a genius. No hyperbole intended.

And as far as reunions go--my ten year is next summer. In Alaska. I'm thinking "meh!" about the whole thing. The fact that I'd pay an exorbitant amount of money to see people I was in school with for a mere two years makes me think I'd rather spend the money I don't have elsewhere next summer.

Dansie Family said...

magic erasers are the best for removing crayon. and marker and permanent marker and dirt and you get the picture they are great.

Jill said...

WD 40 removes crayon from walls.
Really.
If you go to the crayola website, they have a whole section on stain removal. You can choose the medium (crayon, marker, colored pencil, etc.) and then choose the surface (walls, wood, tile, fabric, neighbor child, etc) and they will tell you how to remove the stain.

I didn't go to my 10 year reunion because I was 8 1/2 months pregnant, and it was semi-formal, and there was no way that I was going to buy a new tent dress to wear one time.
Besides, anyone I really wanted to see, I had kept in touch with anyway.

I love Photoshop. I miss my photoshop. Unfortunately, it was a casualty of or last operating system upgrade.