12 September 2008

Black and White Tips in Photoshop

Alex and I have made a great discovery in our quest for sharp photos. Naturally, we must share. And since I've been meaning post some tips on black and white photoshopping for awhile, I thought I'd combine them. Below is a picture of some flowers, straight out of camera. I actually don't mind the sharpness level on this one, but I have noticed that . . .

Frequently when I change photos from color to grayscale, my pictures look just a little flat, as below. They don't have that black and white drama that really flips my skirt. To get here, I just went Image > mode > grayscale. But I want a little more drama, so . . .

I went to Image > Adjustments > brightness and contrast, and ramped up the contrast until it was more what I wanted. I'm actually pretty happy with the picture below. You can see the difference a lot better when it's on human faces, but I really liked these roses.

Now, if I wanted those roses to look even sharper, I would use the high pass filter, as seen in the picture below. I pushed Ctrl + J to create a new layer, then went to Filter > Other > High Pass and left the radius around 1 or 2 pixels. Then changed the Layer type from "Normal" to "Overlay." This is a subtle way to create more crispness if you are just using the kit lens with your digital SLR.

If you have latest favorite photoshop tips or questions, do share!

3 comments:

Hey It's Di said...

Thanks for the tips! I'm always trying to find ways to enhance my bad photography!! Your flower pic is beautiful!

Dansie Family said...

those sound fun and a little over my head. one day i may try some of your fun tips.

Cory Reese said...

This is BY FAR my favorite Photoshop trick. I found out about it a few months ago and it made a huge difference on pictures to bring out more color. Have fun!

http://photoshoptutorials.ws/photoshop-tutorials/photo-effects/velvia.html