23 September 2008

Coconut Ice Cream


I have a couple of friends who share my deep and abiding love for coconut ice cream. One of them sent me this link awhile back to a recipe that I am still dying to try. It's a custard, but I haven't tested it yet because it involves many steps and some tools I don't have. We had to make some homemade ice cream for a family reunion this weekend, though, and I adapted a vanilla recipe to get this one, which makes about five quarts of some of my favorite stuff.

Coconut Ice Cream
2-1/2 cups milk
2-1/2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 13.5 oz cans coconut cream
1-1/2 tbsp vanilla or coconut extract
4-5 cups whipping cream

Scald milk until bubbles form around edge of pan. Remove from heat & dissolve sugar and salt. Stir in remaining ingredients. Chill. Process according to ice cream maker instructions. Eat until you reach a happy place. This blessed concoction is very good with oatmeal pie, as pictured above. I won't document the amount of time in which that pie was consumed. (I do have a minimal amount of self-respect.)

Now if I could just find the Magical Virgin Pina Colada Recipe of Happiness my life would be complete.

2 comments:

msjvd said...

Jennifer Marie Bramall Chamberlain! I gave you that recipe for oatmeal pie and now you've outdone yourself with it!??

I will NOT be responsible for the need to buy larger jeans in the future because you're putting whole cans of coconut cream into homemade ice cream to consume with it!

I'm appalled!

You'll make me some if I ever visit, right?

Dansie Family said...

yum! i'll try it next time my parents come for dinner.