26 September 2008

Shameless Plug for Snopes

*
If you are like me, you are probably pretty ticked at the government right now. In fact, even if you are not like me, you are probably ticked at the government right now, because if we don't agree, you're angry for the opposite reasons. And they are all being a bunch of weenie heads in Washington right now.

So of course I am getting email forwards about the "We Deserve It" Dividend proposal. Telling people they would get $425,000.00 is pretty different from $425.00. At this point I would just like to point out a very useful website: Snopes.com It is run by some people who actually research and do the math and all that jazz that many like to ignore. So if you are a compulsive forwarder, you might want to check there on occasion.

I feel lucky in that most of the forwards I receive are from people I actually know and love and who know that I will actually laugh or whatever at the specific forward.

Still, there is another thing I'd like to say about forwarding. It is polite to always delete everyone else's email address from the forward, and for heavens sake BCC (or Blind Carbon Copy) rather than CC (Carbon Copy), so that my email address and those of all of your loved ones are not plastered all over the email boxes of people from here to kingdom come.

Whew. I feel much better. I'm glad I chose to rant about this subject rather than the SHAMELESS AND DEPLORABLE STATE OF OUR GOVERNMENT!! Which would probably have lasted much longer and involved much more unpleasantness and perhaps some obscenity, which I generally like to avoid even though I am pushed to its edge frequently by my small children. (okay, you can breathe.)

* The picture has nothing to do with this post, but came up under my image search for "email forward." I thought it appropriate, since I was on the soapbox.

3 comments:

Jill said...

I love snopes.

I like to reply to the forwarded email with a link to the snopes page with the "real" story.
I know people who will do that and "reply all" so everybody gets the message.

The only emails that I forward are the ones that make me laugh out loud.

The Rookie said...

Snopes: a website I frequently refer my mother to after many a ridiculous email forward.

The Yoder's Three said...

Amen about the weenie heads in Washington! Mark and I finally registered to vote, and put ourselves down as Democrats, and now we're getting calls all the time from people trying to get us to come volunteer for a few hours to call OTHER people during their dinnertimes and bug them to campaign.

I am going to vote, but I wasn't planning on becoming that involved! And enough with the daily emails from the Obama people! Sheesh!

Anyways, I am sincerely glad that you post even more often than I do. It makes me feel good.