23 October 2008

One More Political Post, Then I'm Through—I Promise!


I have already expressed my reasons for voting for Nader, but I just have to prattle on about politics for one more post before I revert to incessantly ranting about the delights of potty training, spilled milk, and fat infant thighs.

I am not impressed with either of the mainstream candidates, and I will tell you why I am concerned about the taxes that "if raised will not affect me because I don't make $250,000 or more per year." The title of this post could also be, "Why I am a Democrat in principle but a Republican in practice (or used to be that before I decided that it's time to STICK IT TO THE MAN.)"

Pretend that I know a person who has a business that pulls in approximately $1 million per year. If the tax rates change for people who make over $250,000 and this person's income after tax goes from $800,000 to in the $500 thousands, this person will have to lay off a percentage of his or her workforce. (It's pretty difficult to bring a million bucks through the bank in a year by yourself unless you are a sleazy bank executive.) For this imaginary person, that would entail the loss of 65 jobs—in a time when unemployment is rising rapidly. Just because someone makes more than $250,000 a year on paper does not actually mean the person makes that much money as disposable income. A large percentage of that income is probably paying off the loans taken to run the businesses in the first place.

Basically what I'm saying is:

Dear Government,

Quit stealing and shamelessly squandering all of our money. Inability to account for billions of dollars in an audit is totally unacceptable when the rest of us cannot just print more dollars when we run out.

THANKS.

Jen

4 comments:

Jesse said...

I like your political posts, so please continue.

sammygrace said...

AMEN.

msjvd said...

Oh look! Another political post at Rowena's Rants. And...a nicely done one. :)

Ro, let me point out before you change political affiliations that even the (honest) Democrats admit that the current problems were caused by members of their party in Congress under the Clinton administration who opened lenders doors (backed by govt. wallets) to make it possible for hundreds of thousands of "Poor, lower income Americans to experience the American dream of homeownership."

Except, they didn't deserve to own those homes. They couldn't afford them.

So... vote for who you will. It IS a tough call this year. And as much as I hate to say it, voting for one of the candidates will infuse our economy with such a huge amount of hope that it might be worth it. Plus we can let him ride the massive wave of recession that is still rolling in.

Bill Clinton rode the last wave of wildly partying economic boomtimes. What the heck... maybe Obama should be allowed to ride this one into the volcano?

Anyway, much improved on the poli-blog.

Lori said...

Thanks for making me think. I don't like to think about politics, because it makes me depressed and confused. I have a hard time drudging through all the BS to find the real crux of the problem. The issues always seem like there should be a simple solution if people would not be so selfish and undisciplined. But what do I know, not a whole lot.