13 October 2008

Tortilla Tips (Of All Things)

Since there is absolutely no rhyme (actually, there is occasional bad poetry, but metaphorically speaking) nor reason to the subjects of my posts, I give you my favorite tortilla making tip: Use a wooden dowel about the size of a broom handle instead of a rolling pin. You will get nice flat tortillas much more easily that way.* I learned this trick from Carolina Mama at Apron Strings when I was a teenager.

The olive oil in the background of the picture is so that you know I'm a good cook. (I've learned that from the Food Network. There always has to be EVOO involved in good cooking. Unless you're Paula Dean–then it's a stick of butter.) These whole wheat tortillas turned out pretty well, but I like them better with white flour. Alex likes to put pepperoni and cheese in them and melt it on the stovetop like a hot pocket. He's really into healthy food.

For some reason I can't link to the article with the good recipe and extensive information. But if you google "How to make flour tortillas" it is the first one to come up.

*Also, if you allow your five-year-old niece to help you roll them out, it doesn't really matter what you use. Some of the tortillas will be thicker on one side than the other.

11 comments:

Heidi said...

I'll just be totally impressed that you even make your own tortillas. My favorite tip: buy them at the store! Your Alex is one lucky man.

Hey It's Di said...

I have to agree with Heidi and I'm impressed that you make them. When I'm getting fancy and stuff, I will sometimes even buy them from the local Mexican restaurant:)

P.S.- those look delicious!

Jen said...

I always hear such yummy things about homemade tortillas. One of these days I'm going to have to try them myself. And I'll remember the dowel thing, thank you!

Loved your limerick, by the way. As you've probably noticed, I have a thing for limericks:)

The Yoder's Three said...

My tortillas could use some help. They're always small and really thick. That's funny you learned that tip from my mom, because I don't remember her teaching it to me (obviously). I think my problem too is I have a tiny counter and barely have enough room for a regular sized rolling pin.

Right now I have access to seriously good fresh torillas from a tortilleria. I guess that's a perk of living in New Mexico! I'm going to bring a whole box of them with me when I move.

Jill said...

I have thought about trying homemade tortillas, but always chicken out and buy them.

SpecialK said...

I did make tortillas once a very long time ago. Back when I was first married and wanted to impress my new husband with my cooking skills. I must say there is nothing like a fresh, hot tortilla!! But the reason why I've only made them once is because they are a pain to roll out. Thanks for the tip! I'll have to get me a wooden dowel and try it again.:)

msjvd said...

Tortilla press, darling one. That's what you need. Relatively inexpensive and a world away in authenticity value. Can you get one of those when you go into um, The Big City down the road? Ummm, St. George...

Jen said...

ackshully,(pushes glasses back up nose) I'm pretty sure tortilla presses are for corn tortillas and not flour tortillas. Correck me if I'm wrong, though.

msjvd said...

I b'lieve you can use tortilla presses for either flour or corn tortillas, but since flower tortillia's are not ackshul genuwine tortillears, I think you can use a press if you wish.

I've always thought tortilla presses would make ideal ice cream cone forms, too.

Heated properly, they could press hankies. Be used to flat-iron all of life's stresses out of one's tresses.

And maybe make whole wheat pancakes?

Dansie Family said...

tried them a few times, but they are a lot of work. i like to make navajo bread as well. they dont have to be rolled out as thin and you get to deep fry them and then top them yummy beans and meat and cheese or honey.

The Rookie said...

Once again, I bow in obeisance to your cooking glory.