13 November 2008

Sew, Sew Fun!

Pictured above is a handy dandy way to lay out fabric and cut it when you are constructing clothing. My sister is a mortgage broker, so—you guessed it—she has been unemployed for several months recently. In this state, she has come up with many money making schemes, one of which involved me because I own a sewing machine. She represents the brains and creativity in the outfit, whereas I like to fancy myself as the "muscle" of the operation.

The only problem with laying out clothing and cutting it this way is that if you make your own pattern, you may end up with the product pictured below.

The picture is not so telling. Let me just say that unlike the bust darts on this item, certain elements of most feminine anatomy are actually at the same height, rather than one resting three to five inches above the other like something out of a Salvador Dali creation. Perhaps a good name for our new clothing line could be "Dali Duds and Dresses"?

9 comments:

The Yoder's Three said...

HahahahahaHAHAHA!! You don't even want to know what a terrible sewer I am. I do not have the patience for things that involve using actual patterns and/or careful attention to detail. At least the print on the dress camouflages the Dali darts!

Lori said...

To be honest, I was having a hard time telling what the pattern was. Sorry. After a while it hit me. I liked the way you 'pinned' it down though. I might try that sometime. I very much dislike pinning and cutting out patterns. I'd rather just sew. Good luck with the new line! I really think you hit the nail on the head with that name.

Jesse said...

I think that you should wear the dress to something. It will provide much motivation for the future of the line.
:)

Dansie Family said...

you have the guts to at least attempt. i can barely follow a written pattern.

Nick and Heidi said...

Too funny. Good Luck in the future. I would never attempt it.

angela michelle said...

i think you should market it as a dali-dress--who knows how much buzz and money you could get on ebay!?

The Yoder's Three said...

PS. I just nominated you for a Kreativ Blogger award! Go check out my blog to see.

Holly said...

That's great! I agree with Angela Michelle. You should totally market it as a Dali dress and sell it on ebay. hahaha You can sell ANYTHING on ebay, and if anyone has any complaints, you would only have to ask, "Have you ever SEEN a Dali?" Best of luck! You two have my vote for most likely to succeed!!!

Hey It's Di said...

That sounds like my kind of sewing. I have a family of sewers and I'm the reject. You could hire me if you want more duds for your line;)