01 December 2008

Gingerbread

In addition to eating banana cream pie and pecan pie for breakfast and lunch, I have been doing some cooking over the last few days. In my adventures with gingerbread cookies, I learned a few helpful items.

*If you thought you had a full cup of molasses but had only about an eighth of a cup, honey is a lovely substitute and is very perdy in the pan as you heat it up.

*The recipe I used melts a lot, so trying to bake cookies that have stars cut out of the middle will result in gingerbread donuts with very small holes. Also, the stars will have that endearing chubby look of Henry's thighs.

*Gingerbread should be cut into house shapes while hot. If you wait until it cools, skadoosh to your happy dreams of uncracked gingerbread townhomes, cottages, or condominiums.

Here is the recipe without my honey alterations, if you are interested. The address of the original cookie site is at the bottom.

Authentic Molasses Cookies

1 cup molasses
1/2 pound butter (You know it's good if it has this much butter. Uh huh.)
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup hot water
4 cups flour
2 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 teaspoon ginger
**1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon allspice
2 teaspoons cinnamon

Heat the molasses to a boil. Remove from heat and add butter, stirring until melted. Place the sugar in a deep bowl and add soda to the hot water; pour water into the molasses. Pour the molasses mixture into the bowl of sugar and thoroughly mix. Add spices, flour and salt and mix with molasses and sugar. Pour into a loaf pan lined with parchment paper or waxed paper and refrigerate.

Preheat oven to 325. Cut dough as thin as possible and bake on a non-stick surface or a greased sheet for 15 minutes. Cool on a rack as soon as done. They will be great for the holidays, and we're betting they'll be a family favorite.

http://www.christmas-cookies.com/recipes/recipe434.authentic-molasses-cookies.html
** I didn't have allspice or cloves so I added some nutmeg , and the cookies were fine.

* Feed the completed cookies to fat faced babies. Henry's mouth is open and ready to receive.

8 comments:

Jon & Bridget said...

Holy Cow! He looks just like Grace. Funny how siblings do that huh? So are you going to post when you get your gingerbread stuff all done? I would love to see them. :)

laceeJ said...

I always admire a cook who knows what to substitute if the ingredient called for is missing...I try it all the time, but I OBVIOUSLY don't know what I"m doing. Thanks for the recipe! Henry looks so much like his GPA Bramall!

The Yoder's Three said...

Henry is so cute!!

Might I have your mailing address so I can send you a Christmas card? You can email it to melissa_yoder21@msn.com. Thanks!

msjvd said...

Sweetums, box those up and mail 'em to me.

In return, I'll send a recipe for cookies you can decorate as actual holiday gingerbread men (and girlies).

Fair trade, right?

Dansie Family said...

i've never done gingerbread cookies, so i may need to try your recipe if you say it is good.

Claire said...

Dang, Jenny! Those were some of the best cookies ever! I give you permission to make them again. Mmm mmmm! Haha! Love ya!

Mike and Melissa said...

Your children are the cutest. And yes, Henry looks just like Grace!

The Rookie said...

I just want to smell it. Gingerbread is one of my favorite scents. And flavors for that matter.

And he is adorable!