11 January 2009

Dreadful Diet, Yummy Soup

The emotion in the face above accurately expresses my feelings on the nasty business of losing weight. Alex and some of his friends are doing their own Biggest Loser competition to help them lose weight. As the dutiful wife and listener to hungry complaints before I bought masses of fruit and vegetables, I have decided it is time for me to join him in his endeavor. Also, I weighed myself the other day. Big mistake. I should have just remained in ignorant bliss. However, weigh I did, and lose I must. So here is a soup I made to help us both out in this trying time.

Winter Weight-Loss Soup
2 cans (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
1 can (14 or so ounces) tomato sauce
1 quart water (or more. listen to your heart as the soup thickens.)
4 tsp chicken bouillon
1-2 cloves garlic, chopped or pressed
1 large turnip
1/2 celery stalk
1 large onion
1 small zucchini
2 large carrots
1 small head cabbage, shredded
2/3 cup of split peas
2/3 cup brown rice
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Salt and fresh-ground black pepper, to taste

1. Combine the tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, bouillon, and garlic in a large soup pot. Chop the turnip, celery, onion, zucchini, and carrots into large pieces and add to the pot.

2. Cook at a slow boil for thirty minutes. Add the split peas and rice. Continue boiling for thirty more minutes, stirring enough that you don't burn the corners of the pot of soup like I did. Stir in the cabbage, split peas, rice, thyme, oregano, bay leaf, salt, and pepper.

3. Simmer until cooked through but firm.

Serves . . . a lot.

I'm pretty sure this stuff is fat free, and it's also low calorie, flavorful, and filling. I adapted the recipe from Reader's Digest.com. I take their Diabetes newsletter because I am paranoid delusional about getting diabetes.

10 comments:

amy said...

If you need other weight loss recipes, let me know. Flavorful and filling I can promise, however, if you are looking for a truly good time, that can only be provided by a chocolate doughnut.

Gina said...

thanks for the recipe- We're doing a biggest loser contest here too! I was just thinking I needed a yummy soup recipe! Blogs to the rescue!

Hey It's Di said...

It's that Biggest Loser time of year and the competition is on with my family. I too wish I had remained in a state of ignorant bliss over my actual weight. I was even more shocked and dismayed to realize my scale was weighing 10 pounds lighter than others....I REALLY need to diet now:(

Lori said...

Weight Watchers has some really good recipes. My mom and sister went with those and had success in losing weight, and they tasted good. I ate some of them. Good Luck.

laceeJ said...

Hey, me too on the Diabetes freak thing! However, I'm not a good cook like yourself, so I found this 4 ingredient cook book for Diabetic folks! I'm not diabetic, but I don't want to be either, and I love easy quick recipes.

msjvd said...

You lost me at "turnip."

(Do I need to come retrieve the Nutella I gave you?)

Saddie and Levi said...

wow, alex has never looked so good! ;o)

Jesse said...

My two cents:
I've been trying to lose weight. I have this horrible habit of just needing to eat right before I go to bed, and it's usually junk food. Well in two days I gained four pounds. I've been weighing myself when I go to the gym and I gained four pounds! So now I'm trying to just eat vegetables if I must eat something right before bed. That's my story.

The Yoder's Three said...

Eeesh! Good luck! An unhealthy amount of stress always makes me lose my appetite. Maybe that's your key to success. Contemplate a cross-country move or something.

The Rookie said...

I started mine yesterday. Technically I started this weekend but I didn't act like I was on a diet all weekend because every human being knows diets start on Monday.

And I am trying this soup.