14 January 2009

Helpful Hints


I have realized a few things as I have started watching what I eat, so naturally I must share these helpful hints.

* It helps to read the label of foods. One cookie is not always one serving. Sometimes, it is 2.5.

* It helps to read the label of foods. Macaroni and cheese may seem innocent and fine, but oh no. That box is a veritable den of calorie breeding iniquity. And ramen, the harlot, is so easy and yet so devastatingly packed with calories.

* Actually, it helps to just eat foods that have no label.

* It helps to write down you eat. If you know that your husband (insert roommate, brother, cousin-in-law's wife) might walk past the counter and see that you ate five cookies (2.5 servings each—that's 12.5 servings of cookie) during the day, the knowledge magically makes it easier to just put them back in the cupboard.

* Eat one spoonful of things. This way, you can eat some of everything in the fridge and feel like you have had a smorgasbord of yumminess without emptying the fridge of its contents. You have to be careful about this one, though, because you might be amazed how quickly an entire carton of ice cream can disappear even only one spoonful at a time.

I have to say I have been brutally betrayed by the number of calories per "serving" in quite a few of my favorite foods. Cheese, glorious cheese, how I miss our little moments together throughout the day. Raw turnips and jicama are okay, but they lack a certain affability and intimacy that I find so agreeable in a nice slice of cheese and some crackers.

6 comments:

Dansie Family said...

bu the protein in cheese is good for you. a little cheese is better than a little cheesecake. btw great job at being the star writer for the hurricane times. except for the rusty bucket article. did you really like the food? tom and i were less than impressed.

Jesse said...

Yes. I believe that the big pink-frosted Granny B's cookies are four servings per cookie. I was shocked when I saw that.

amy said...

The healthy eating, it is not for the faint of heart. I find it easiest when I simply eliminate general quantities of food, or, rather, only allow permissible foods. There is no quantity of broccoli that will allow a person to maintain excess body fay and, besides, it has more protein per calorie than cheese ;)

Good luck, Jen. Better a pain in the neck than a pain in the carotid artery, but a pain in the neck is still no fun. If you whip up any other nurtienty delights, please feel encouraged to post the recipes.

The Rookie said...

I am with you every step of this miserable way. And for whatever reason, today I am feeling an overwhelming sense of deprivation. (And possibly a hankering for an entire rotating display of cakes/cookies/ice creams/you name the dessert item, I want it rotating on this baby.)

But on I will go, eating spinach and kale.
On I will go for a number on the scale.
(that isn't changing, the @#%^%@!!##@#%!!!)
On I will go on the elliptical trainer.
On I will go, though I'm a better weight-gainer.

(I think the lack of calories is getting to me, I've broken out on Dr. Suess).

msjvd said...

Jicama improves if you can put some lime and a particular chile product with it. Chile powder is okay, but there is a powder called "Pico de Gallo" that Latinos use in LA. Nobody there eats jicama as a snack/gut-filler without it.

If you want, I'll give the website. Makes a HUGE difference.

Amy said...

How do you count all the bites and tastes of your children's food? I believe it is free of calories because we are moms protecting our children from too hot, cold, or flavorless food. Shouldn't we get some reward for the sacrifice we make?