19 January 2009

More Scintillating Grammar Issues

For Saddie and Melissa:
Further / Farther / Father

Father's responsibilities: Preside, Provide, Protect the wife and kids. Take out trash, kick mean neighborhood dogs, etc.
I'm so glad when father comes home.

Further's responsibilities: as an adjective where the sense is "additional."
She slapped his face and left without further comment.
Adverb of an entire sentence:
Further, I resent your tone of voice young lady!

Farther's responsibilities: as an adjective describing actual or metaphorical distance.
She had changed twenty dirty diapers that day, and was unable to go farther.
I can run farther than you can.

According to Merriam-Webster's Usage dictionary, the two are in a battle to the death for several adverbial territories, with casualties and comebacks occurring regularly. So Saddie, you can debate, but you might both be right. Perhaps you should just arm wrestle to determine the winner.

* Quoted from Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of English Usage 1994. No I didn't sell it back in college. Now you know the real depths of my depravity.


For everyone else: After dinner today I said to myself, "Diet Shmiet." And I feel so happy. So very, very happy.

Also, I have had my very first successful attempt at making hummus. When I get around to photographing the stuff I'll post about this happy journey.

9 comments:

amy said...

I've never successfully made hummus, I genuinely find the discussion of further and farther captivating, and I need to go on a diet, not off one (a batch of peanut butter cookies just came out of the oven; I don't know how they got in there...)

Can I get in on Alex's biggest loser competition? I can't seem to stop celebrating the holidays and Ryan is feeling equally festive.

Jesse said...

Grammar question:
What about the lay/lie thing. I know it is different if you lay down something, lie(?) down yourself, and I think there is something else you are supposed to do with another form of it, but I don't remember. Tell me about the past tense of those words too if you could :)
Also, I just started a one-week diet of no sugary substances with a friend. A sugary substance is defined by us as something that has sugar or some kind of those sweet syrupy things in the first three ingredients. I'm hoping I learn to say no to some sugary things because of it...

Saddie and Levi said...

thanks for the post. i feel very special and edified. now if i can just manage to retain the info long enough in my mother brain to integrate it into everyday usage, we'll call it a success.

i am also interested in your successful hummus making procedure.

ps i hope you know that my frequent lack of caps is due to one-handed typing. the other hand is generally holding the baby so i can blog in relative peace. :o)

Jen said...

Amy, I think it's too late to get in on Alex's competition. however, you could host one. Alex's buddy just got a bunch of friends to do it with him, and they all put in $20 and whoever loses most lbs wins like 60% and whoever loses most percentage wins the rest.

Jesse: To be continued. The difference is that lay is a transitive verb and lie is non-transitive. I'll explain in a later grammar post. Keep bugging me, though.

Saddie, I also frequently lack caps due to single-handed typing.

The Rookie said...

"Diet Schmiet" Oh, if only I could join you in your sentiments. But, alas, on rabbit food I continue to gnaw.

Speaking of gnaw, my stomach is doing just that looking at whatever that was with the (gulp!) chocolate.

msjvd said...

Those s'mores look hauntingly familiar. Do I know them?

And what recipe did you use for hummus?

Amy Huntington said...

YES, I want to know too! Tell me wise one, when should I say lay/lie? Is "LAYED" even a word? LAID is a word though, right? I hate English!

angela michelle said...

I love people who didn't sell their college textbooks--especially grammar ones.

Melissa said...

I just totally, completely (is that redundant?) love you!