06 January 2009

Shmoob Shmob, etc.

Does anyone else suspect that Ms. Laurentis was not hired merely for her sweet cooking skills?

I was feeling cynical about how sometimes I feel like a glorified babysitter (also cook, cleaning lady, and general slave, not so glorified) this morning, and I had an epiphany. I am not just a babysitter. I am a mother, and that actually means something more than just massive piles of diapers and dishes. I need to be grateful that I have little squishy munchkins to hug, kiss, and address in a ridiculous high-pitched baby voice whenever I want. It is a privilege to take care of their every need. I need to write down what a privilege it is, and read it over and over on days (such as today) when they tag team awaken and scream every hour all night.

Also on the less cynical side, I feel that our bodies are an awesome gift. I feel God is sending us a message by rewarding us for exercise with less depression, less anxiety, more firm hot muscles, stronger lungs, sparklier eyes, etc. This message means that your body is a gift, and if you take care of it properly it probably pleases the Giver. While I reserve the right to change my mind about plastic surgery when I am wrinkly and floppy instead of smooth and perky, right now I just think that most people I know who have surgically "improved" themselves were very beautiful in the first place. Oh excuse me, I think I tripped on my soap box.

Happy New Year.

12 comments:

amy said...

Plastic surgery freaks me out. I would rather just sport what the good Lord gave me than go under the knife. However, I may not be the most entitled to opinions on these matters, having only moments ago eaten a box of chocolates.

At least it was a small box.

Queen Elizabeth said...

I am laughing so hard. I agree re. Ms. Giada. She is the Food Network's pinup. She is always adding "melons" to her dishes - if you know what I mean.

Hang in there --- they get older and then you get to ride lots of emotional roller coasters :)

Saddie and Levi said...

To heck with plastic surgery- I just wished I could look as airbrushed as that photo is! It's pretty sad that even Giada had to be touched-up to suit the media's taste!

As for the children, I haven't quite decided which is worse: when they take turns waking and crying or when they opt for the simultaneous freak out and refuse to be soothed at the same time.

sammygrace said...

Amen girlfriend.

laceeJ said...

okay, here is ME on my soap box! I have SO many friends & Family that pull the "self-esteem" card! ei"Plastic surgery=more self esteem" BlAH BLAH! What did those poor women do that past THOUSANDS YEARS with their "self esteem" and small chests? The thought that your self esteem comes from your plastic surgeon gets me RILED UP! :) Okay, there, I'm done....for today:)

msjvd said...

That photo was airbrushed. Having lived in LA where you run into celebrities in the dry cleaner and grocery store, I can tell you, they don't look like that all the time. AIRBRUSHED.

Holly said...

Great reminder! We really are so blessed.

Also, I agree with msjvd. TOTALLY airbrushed. :0)

Jessi said...

You're right that exercise and eating right feel good. I needed that reminder. Lately I've been using hot cocoa as a pick-me-up when I really needed to just go running. Thanks!

myimaginaryblog said...

I don't have cable and hence don't have the food network and hence find that image terribly disturbing -- what the heck is she squeezing? And why would you dress that way to squeeze stuff? It's all quite upsetting . . . if you hadn't said otherwise, I'd think it was a still from a horror flick.

Jen said...

She is squeezing tomatoes. I totally hadn't seen it that way. Sorry for the disturbing image, and I also agree that it's not appropriate tomato squeezing attire.

The Rookie said...

I think that "plastic" and "surgery" are two words that shouldn't be used in the same sentence, let alone the same phrase. It is just wrong.

angela michelle said...

They were beautiful before the surgery because beautiful means character and features!

I gotta say, as a 37yo who has lived through 5 pregnancies, certain things could certainly be improved upon by a surgeon. If I could snap my fingers and do it I probably would...at least some.

But usually I succeed in feeling that my body IS the body of a woman who has given birth and lived for 37 years and that's how it should be! Isn't there something very wrong with feeling like everyone should look like 20yos who haven't birthed or lived?