20 January 2009

Yummus Hummus

I know this is a dreadful picture, but the hummus was good. I read a couple of hummus recipes over at 101cookbooks, ultimately using most of the "Whipped Chickpea Hummus" recipe. I altered it a bit, though, so here is my version:

Hummus
1/3 cup dried chickpeas
1 medium clove garlic
1 to 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1 small piece of boiled potato (I used the boring bakers, and it was fine, though the other recipe said to use a snobby new potato.)
1 tsp. finely chopped red onion
juice of 1/2 a lemon with a sprinkling of zest in it
hot water
olive oil
kosher salt

1. Prepare chickpeas by soaking overnight in 2 cups water, then rinsing and draining them.
2. Gently simmer the rehydrated chickpeas with a tilted or vented lid for 1-1/2 hours. Periodically check to make sure too much water hasn't evaporated. During the last 1/2 hour to 45 minutes, add the clove of garlic and sesame seeds. During the last 20 minutes add the little potato or boil it in a separate pan.
3. Drain cooked chickpeas. Try not to wash all the sesame seeds off.
4. Place chickpea mess, red onion, lemon juice, and potato in food processor. Pulse and add hot water a couple of tablespoons at a time until desired consistency is close. Then drizzle some olive oil in there. Salt to taste.**

**I have realized that one should not follow a specific recipe in the salting of hummus. I'm pretty sure some of my other failures could have been saved by proper salting. You should taste, add oil, lemon, or salt, and taste again, until it tastes right. At some point you will achieve the right amount of salt saturation, and then it will taste like hummus (or yummy salty lemony dip) instead of boring blended chickpeas. It might even taste like you went overboard because you couldn't taste the salt and now you can. However, after a few hours the flavors will blend until eating it will cause you to start spraying your elbow with Windex at the dinner table. (If you are confused by this explanation, you'd better go watch My Big Fat Greek Wedding, a.k.a., The Best Movie Ever. Quick!)

PS. A newly returned missionary said, "Anything tastes better with lemon and salt," of the Mexican cuisine he received. I think the rule also applies here.

PPS. Soon: Lie v. Lay!

4 comments:

The Yoder's Three said...

Oh, dear. "Lie vs. Lay!" Brings back old nightmares from Mrs. White in my junior year.

"The man is the head, but the woman is the neck, and she can turn the head any way she wants to." Or something like that. Some of my great aunts always come to mind when I watch that movie.

Jesse said...

Sweet!

Dansie Family said...

i didn't even know dried chick peas existed. i've only ever used canned chick peas. and i always put in way too much garlic.

Cory Reese said...

I've only had hummus once. It was so good at the restaurant that I've never dared try (wait, have Mel try) to make it. Primarily because I know I'll be disappointed when comparing to my heavenly first experience.