27 February 2009

It's Just Allergies


Reasons Why We Don't Have TV:


1. When we got married we couldn't afford to have it, and we soon realized that there was not a void in our lives where TV should be.


2. I can only handle one episode of Caillou per day, so I can't imagine how I would bear up under a constant stream of children's programming.


3. Netflix. Ah, glorious BBC-carrying Netflix.


4. For a period of five or so years I watched Emma every Friday while doing my laundry. (Except when I did my laundry on Monday. Then I watched Emma every Monday while doing my laundry.) As a compulsive JAFAANA, (Jane Austen Film Adaptation Addict Not Anonymous) I feel that anything else would be unnecessary, as Ms. Austen's works when adapted by the talented Andrew Davies create the perfect panoply of cinematic bliss.

5. Once when I was at my parents' house we were watching the American Idol tryouts. After several minutes, I found myself getting all misty-eyed over the poor people whose hopes were so brutally disappointed. This weepiness was not an isolated incident. That nanny show and several organization shows have had the same effect on me. I just get so emotional when the nanny and the organizer bring order and peace out of chaos and confusion, along with discovering underlying emotional issues. And I just can't have Alex coming home from work to find me emotionally distraught in behalf of strangers all the time. (*Her Majesty's post about cleaning shows reminded me of this and inspired much of this post. Thanks Your Highness.)

6. You can watch The Office at ABC's website. Does anything else really matter? I don't think so either.

14 comments:

amy said...

This is the exact story of my life.

amy said...

Minus the Jane Austen.

Saddie and Levi said...

I personally can't understand why Caillou even exists? He is, quite possibly, the most annoying character EVER created! It's also nice to know that not having TV means not having a constant stream of hype invading one's world.

Queen Elizabeth said...

You are a good woman. What have YOU been reading lately? How do I access your amazing database?

The Yoder's Three said...

I am a member of JAFAANA as well. And although I haven't missed TV for the most part these last few months, I really do miss having PBS for the kid's shows (they buy me uninterrupted time) and my beloved cooking shows on Saturday mornings.
Caillou is extremely annoying, though. What a smarmy show.

Jen said...

Queen Elizabeth, I've been on a slight reading break lately after too many fluffy children's novels. I started to read Titan, about John D. Rockefeller, which was fascinating, but I am currently in a library reserving war with someone over it that has sapped my energy to read the thing. I do goodreads, but I noticed awhile back that you are a shelfari girl?

Melissa said...

I personally have not watched a t.v. show in about a year and I love it. But I would go crazy if I didn't have it for my kids!

Jesse said...

I don't want to have cable when I have my own home. I'm sure that it helps children's minds to develop to look around their own house instead of being taught to live vicariously through the lives of others on TV, which I think is a problem these days.

myimaginaryblog said...

We only have network TV and I don't watch much of that (okay, so I do watch 24 and Lost and The Office -- although we end up watching them online as often as not) but I think I would love having cable/DVR for things like those nanny shows. The nanny shows make me cry, too, but I love them all the same.

myimaginaryblog said...

Oh, and I'm definitely in on hating Caillou -- why don't his parents ever tell him to stop WHINING?!

Kate said...

I have been on my "I have no TV" stint for a while... not sure it really does me any good... since I have the internet... which sucks more time than TV ever could. BLAST!

angela michelle said...

you can watch The Office and so much more on hulu.com
but it seems like it ruins your life a bit less than actual tv since it requires more intention--you have to actually queue it up and watch it on your little computer.

www.potsandpins.com said...

Love the picture of you in the TV!! I wish I could give it up - it's one of two addictions...the other is chapstick - Bonnie Bell to be exact...and if I can have chapstick AND watch TV I'm a happy gal. One day, when there is nothing left to watch, I'll give it up...and I fear that day is coming all too quickly...but as long as House is on TV then I'll have to watch...it's a vicious cycle!

Jill said...

I don't cry, I hyperventilate