18 March 2009

Modest Contest Answers

Late last night I realized that I hadn't posted the answers to the challenge, so here we go. Thanks for the reminder Angela.

1. A woman is never equal to a man. She is his superior in every instance.

Cranford. The doctor mentioned that Mary Smith was the equal of a man in assisting him, and Miss Deborah corrected him.

2. It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.

Pride and Prejudice. This showed the true colors of my fellow Jane Austen addicts. It is the first line of the novel, and Elizabeth quotes it in the BBC one.

3. Do you need sponging!?

My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Aunt Voula shouts this at then end when they are making Toula into a snow beast. It was an ad lib line thrown out by the talented actress. (I've even watched the director's commentary on that one.)

4. You may be certain that men know nothing about their hearts, whether they be six and twenty, or six and eighty.

Emma. Sometimes I try to quote Emma from start to finish. It never works, but that is to my discredit because I have probably watched the movie several hundred times.

5. I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read on the train.

The Importance of Being Earnest. I love the film version of this with Colin Firth, Reese Witherspoon, and those other two actors. We copied our version to our computer so Alex could remove a certain tattooing scene.

6. "I love you." "I know."

Star Wars. I laugh every time I see Han and Leia have this exchange. Alex is more of a Star Wars nerd than I am, but we both like them.

7. Dumb dog. Why are you following me?

Annie. This song was stuck in my head for weeks once. It was lame.

8. Put your fingertips together for more, more, more!

Baby Signing Time. This is so Grace can represent in the contest.

9. It does not matter how small the sins are, provided that their cumulative effect is to edge the man away from the Light and out into the Nothing. Murder is no better than cards if cards can do the trick. Indeed, the safest road to Hell is the gradual one—the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts.

The Screwtape Letters. Props to Zina for catching this one. I love almost everything of Lewis' that I've ever read. He did manage a few dreadful bores, but most of his stuff is a delicious read.

10. "He's too awesome!" "And attractive!" "How can we repay you?" "There is no charge for awesomeness. Or attractiveness."

Kung Fu Panda.

11. I hate all the orphans in the whole world.

Nacho Libre. This one, like Napoleon Dynamite, is much more fun to hear Alex quote than actually watch for me.

Thank you everyone for participating.

5 comments:

Heidi said...

Dude. I go on break and you have an awesome giveaway contest.

I always miss the best stuff.

Cory Reese said...

I watched Nacho Libre again a few nights ago. I always laugh to the point of tears when Nacho's clothes catch on fire, but before he relizes it's him he says "I smell cookies!"

The Yoder's Three said...

Ahhh! I remember the Importance of Being Earnest one now! And I didn't realize the sponging one was from My Big, Fat, Greek Wedding, but I adore that movie.

Thanks for the granola, by the way! I'm eating it right now and it is DIVINE. You are a granola goddess.

angela michelle said...

Thank you!

So is there a Screwtape Letters movie?

We seem to have some sort of unspoken family system where you get bonus points for quoting Nacho Libre at dinner. I'm sure that says something unflattering about us. We also say, "Eat the food!" Napolean Dynamite style to my daughter every night.

Jen said...

There isn't a Screwtape Letters movie. A couple were just literature, but it would be fun to see such a movie narrated via the letters.