27 March 2009

On Flippy Hair and Awkwardness

When I was a little girl, my sisters and I used to love to watch the national hit exercise program, Hooked on Aerobics. We would always fight over who got to be the lady with the long brown hair. My favorite aspect of the program was the three levels of impact. Usually the guy was on the low level, which is of course logical because how many men really get worked up about aerobics? However, sometimes on the show they would all change levels, and that was the best, because then when Brunetta was on the lowest level I could truly be just like her. Or when she was on the highest level her hair got more flippy. That was cool.

Fast-forward to yesterday. I have been to three total yoga classes now, not counting the awesome personal instruction I received on my mission from Gina. I went to a yoga class at the gym, and there was a new instructor. And me. Awesome.

I was immensely relieved when one other person showed up a few minutes later, so I didn't have to have my own personal yoga lesson during which my son interrupted from the cry room frequently. I can just imagine the instructor in some strange tangled angle, upside-down with only her hands supporting her whole body, and me saying, "Can you just wait there for a few minutes? My baby needs me again. I'll be right back. Really. Just pretend like I'm here."

9 comments:

miss marie said...

oh. my. gosh. that was my favorite early morning program at the babysitters! and the brown haired lady was my unattainable dream look! i'm just so happy I got to see them again here today. i wonder what they look like now ...

Paulette & Kevin Farnsworth said...

Ha ha! You are hilarious! You could really test the instructor's skills!:) I have fond memories of HOA! I wanted to be just like them!! My mom and I would get up early every morning before school to do the work out. I wanted to be cool and do the high-impact but I never dared do it for very long. It was just too much! Thanks for sharing, it made my day!

The Rookie said...

I totally remember this show! Orange and purple? Shiver. My mom worked out to this one and the lady with the sweat band that sits on a chair the entire time (don't tell my mother, but I think this particular exercise broadcast might have been for the elderly).

angela michelle said...

I remember that show! Crazy! I hope you try yoga again--it feels so weird and awkward when you start but you will LOVE it.

Dansie Family said...

let's dress like that for the gym some day. that would be fun. but i feel kind of like i missed something cool, i have never heard of that show. oh well, at least i got to see what it was like.

Jill said...

Yoga is my crush. I wish that I could afford it!

Cory Reese said...

Wow. Thinking back to my mom exercising to this is a disturbing memory.

I would imagine that being the guy on this show would eventually cause you to become a Unibomber or something. I guarantee he lives in a shed and has not made contact with the civilized world for years.

Heidi said...

Jenny you totally make me laugh. That would have been the worst session ever if it were me there by myself with an instructor.

I too remember that exercise show. Funny how it seems like it was just yesterday.

By the way I loved your article in the recent Hurricane Times.

mommy princess said...

I remember that show! My sister and I used to drool over the neon colored, spandex ensembles. And we to faught over the rights to the brunette with the mane like locks. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.