04 April 2009

Mittleider Garden


After last year's accidental garden, I am pleased to announce this year that I will be intentionally planting a garden via the Mittleider method. I am doing a five foot garden in my back yard, and my sister and I are doing a joint garden in her back yard with four 11' rows.

I went to a seminar about the method a month or so ago, and I am excited to try. The rows are 18" wide and spaced 3'6" apart for maximum sunlight. The wide rows allow for two mounds of dirt down the sides of rows rather than the traditional mound down the middle. You plant at the base of one mound between the two so that the plants are protected from the elements, and you save water because it just stays in the little ditch, and you don't have to water all over. This also helps prevent weeds in the aisles.

There is a weekly feed mix and a pre-planting mix of fertilizer, too, which I have mixed and applied. The garden grows vertically up to t-posts, which allows for more sun and air. If you want to learn more about the method email me (jenny AT hurricanetimes DOT com) or go to Yahoo, Groups, Family & Home, Gardening, and join the Mittleider Method group. I got some great diagrams on how to build T-posts from the yahoo group.

7 comments:

Simply, Sarah said...

Good luck on the new method! We're trying the Square Foot Gardening technique this year. It has raised beds, plus pre-mixed compost, peat moss, and perlite. I'm investing time, money, and (hopefully) patience into this, so it better work!

Jillybean said...

We're planning on a garden this year too. Hopefully it will turn out better than last year's garden. (the one that never got planted)
Good luck with yours!

Heidi said...

I just started all my little flower seedlings. They were doing so well. And then they all fell over and died. What am I doing wrong, Jen?

Dansie Family said...

good luck! i need to get cracking on mine. next week, for sure.

Jessica said...

Hey I just got your e-mail and I hope that potty method works for you! Your blog is so funny and what new job did Alex get? I couldn't believe the difference in the pictures but I never thought he was heavy in the first place. my blog is jensenjiblets.blogspot.com Josh came up with the name! I need a fence then I will plant a garden!

mormonmommyblogs said...

Hi there! Congrats! You won the giveaway on MMB for the shelf reliance food storage!

Please email me with your information so I can get that out to you!

~motherboard, mmb

Jen said...

Heidi, you are probably just living in Southern Utah, which is just wrong in many ways for all things living. I have never had success with my own seedlings. They shrivel and die into nothing as soon as they go outside, so I buy them from the greenhouse now.