11 May 2009

In Honor of Laundry Day

I give you five things your mother should have told you from a handout I got in high school foods class.

1. Put a mini marshmallow in the bottom of a sugar cone to prevent drips. (If you are not cheap like me and just use a bowl or those cardboard cones.)

2. Use a meat baster to squeeze your pancake batter onto the hot griddle and you'll get perfectly shaped pancakes every time. (If unlike me, you own a meat baster. Or ever even cook pancakes.)

3. To get the most juice out of fresh lemons, bring them to room temperature and roll them under your palm against the kitchen counter before squeezing. (If you are not ravenously starving for whatever you are making, as I usually am because when I realized that I was hungry I had to feed everyone else in the house before I could eat.)

4. If you accidentally oversalt a dish, put a peeled potato in to absorb the extra salt. (Assuming you haven't realized this now that your company is judging you based on your salty cooking skillz.)

5. To determine if an egg is fresh, immerse it in a pan of cool, salted water. If it sinks, it is fresh. If it floats, throw it away. (If you already put it in the dough for five loaves of bread, give it its own trash bag, because even a bad egg won't stop it from rising. Please don't ask how I know this.)

12 comments:

miss marie said...

very useful, indeed

msjvd said...

6. To get the maximum juice from a lime, microwave it for 30 seconds.

The Rookie said...

That potato one could come in handy. Except that usually this happens in a restaurant in which someone with their special room reservation in hell left the salt shaker unscrewed.

debilyn said...

Great hints and tips!

Found your blog through The Rookie's...

have to say, I'm already a fan =)

Dansie Family said...

i'll have to try the pancake one.

Hey It's Di said...

I make my husband cook pancakes because I tend to make them huge or weird shaped. I think I will keep the baster thing to myself or his cooking days might be over;)

Jesse said...

Nice tips! So this WHOLE TIME, I've been linked to a different blog that you keep for extended family news. Silly silly me. Your kiddos are lovely. You look fabu. AND commenter Kyle, of Kyle the Turmanatorman, is the cousin/pseudo brother of my sister-in-law. How do you know him? Small world.

myimaginaryblog said...

I was going to suggest nuking lemons, but msjvd beat me to it.

The cone one could be useful around here if we ever had mini marshmallows around.

The Yoder's Three said...

Also, if you think you smell a dead mouse in your pantry, you can probably avoid sending your husband in with rubber gloves and a baseball bat, because it's more than likely just a spoiled potato.

angela michelle said...

I always have mixed feelings about these tips--so ingenious! I've gotta remember that! But I don't remember, or I never have the meat baster/marshmallow/whatever.

Cory Reese said...

Any blog that is able to work in the word "skillz" earns some serious bonus points.

Brittany said...

I love the last one. You are hilarious.