07 June 2009

Hail the Conquering Heroine(s)

I know you are all just dying to know how the potty training has gone. So let's get down to the nitty gritty.


Friday afternoon, two days into the program, I was lying on the kitchen floor, busily feeling sorry for myself. I was overwrought with grief and fear that this might not work and I might have weeks or even—the HORROR—months of this ahead. And my dear sweet Alex said, "Honey, you're in transition, the baby will be here soon!" Which is what he says when I am giving birth, and the baby has been there within the hour both times. It was just the right thing to say.


Alex's declaration was especially meaningful because Alex detests when women talk about childbirth all the time, and yet he was willing to stoop to that level to encourage his poor downtrodden wife in her moment of despair.


Grace went from that desperate moment until this afternoon with no accidents. And today she made it to the bathroom, just not the actual target. So as a small-potatoes mommy blogger, I would like to officially endorse the three-day potty training method.


I do have one caveat, and that is that the definition of "trained" is very broad. Grace knows how to hold it and go into the bathroom, but she still needs help with some of the technical details such as handwashing, etc. The most important thing is that my psychological burden of fear has been lifted, and we are well on our way to potty independence.


I have learned from experience the definition of the word "beam" as in, "She beamed down at her little child." When I heard the delicate tinkle after Grace reached the bathroom with dry underpants for the first time, I could feel the sunshine of happiness burst forth from my face in a joyous glow, even as the tears pooled in my proud parental eyes. Everything else in the world disappeared but that sweet little concentrating face.

This moment brought to you by Hallmark. Buy our greeting cards. They are the best.

10 comments:

Jessi said...

Grace looks pretty pleased with herself, too. Happy days!

The Yoder's Three said...

Wow-I'm so glad that worked for you! (No fair!) Congratulations on only having a 3-day standoff instead of a almost 2-year one. Now that you and Grace have confidence that she can do it, I hope it will be smooth sailing from here. Don't forget to keep rewarding her occasionally.

The Rookie said...

Hurrah! Here is to years of bathroom independence for Grace-Face!

And that is a lovely, GLOWING photo of both of you.

Dansie Family said...

woohoo!!! i should get details on that program for james.

miss marie said...

thank you for writing that last paragraph. it made me happy-chuckle. YAY for GRACE!!! when i gather my courage and the month of june is a sweet memory, i will try it with liv, i think (courage, brethren!) that makes me happy that women and their childbirth stories bothers alex. apparently he doesn't know that giving birth is ripping flesh from our flesh, and is therefore comparable? haha. next time we get together, would you be willing to swap labor stories with me? :)

Jen said...

Anytime, Marie! I love a good birth story.

Jesse said...

So Happy! Good job. Sounds like all that juice paid off!

mommy princess said...

Yay Grace!! I know exactly what heck you go through during potty training so I'm right there celebrating with you. It is indeed a momentus occasion!

angela michelle said...

congrats! I'm a little jealous as I've hit a potty training roadblock that I apparently will never surmount.

Heidi said...

I call this "Mommy-trained". Because technically they go in the potty, but Mommy still does all the work.

My children stayed in this phase for what seemed like YEARS.