23 July 2009

The Actor and the Housewife


The real problem with a Shannon Hale novel is the condition in which I find my kitchen after I surface. I am never able to put these books down, and The Actor and the Housewife was no different. So many dishes on my counter. So very many dishes. (sigh)

I absolutely loved this book. Here are a couple of snippets I liked (thanks your majesty for the snippets idea)

And now here she was completely forgetting her kids and thinking in gratuitous exclamation points!

I hate gratuitous exclamation points. This is a main character who is in tune with the subtle nuances of my grammar nazi soul on a very subconscious level.

Last spring they'd had an Under the Sea-themed party, and Christine had created a twenty-foot-long humpback whale out of construction paper and hung it from the ceiling.

I just love that it is not just a whale, but a humpback whale. I don't actually know and love any Christine's, but this line really made the bit character come alive for me.

In summary, I laughed. I cried. Hale had me going that she was going to end the book wrong all the way up until the very end. But if your gut tells you what my gut told me while reading this book, you will not be disappointed. You will be blinded by this book's sheer awesomeness. (Especially if you are a Mormon housewife and strongly identify with the protagonist and generally worship anything Hale writes, as I am, and do.)

7 comments:

debilyn said...

yay! I've had this book on my 'to read' list for awhile...

now I definitely need to get it :)

Marie Loves Ben said...

what? i have been missing an awesome author-ess?!?!?!
NOOOO!!!!
i must jump on this bandwagon, IMMEDIATELY.

The Rookie said...

I am adding this to my list. I loved Austenland (imagine that is italicized) so this shouldn't disappoint.

I have hard time putting most books down--which is why I load up on reading in the summer and back off when I have to work. I would get NO sleep whatsoever, become a monstrous beast, and the teenagers would hate me and learn nothing.

Lori said...

I have to spread out my reading because Kevin and Hattie get neglected and they don't like it and I don't like being interrupted. I have to figure out a better way of getting my reading in. But I can't read one or two chapters a night and put the book down. I get too involved. I'm glad that I am not the only person that seems to do this.

www.potsandpins.com said...

Leave it to you to introduce me to something new...I've never heard of Shannon Hale - just looked her up and have just a slight idea of what I've been missing! I just ordered the book from Amazon...sounds like a great summer read. Thanks Jen...I've been in Mecca/Zion/SLC for the last week - every time I walk outside all I can think about is my oven's blinking light when the temperature hits 350 degrees...it's so stinkin' hot I can hardly breathe! I don't know how you stand it when you live in a deep fryer!! Thanks for the post! xo, Nan

msjvd said...

And so now this is on your "favorite books list?" You just read it. Sorta smacks of opportunistic-list-adding. :(

Motherboard said...

I'm on the wait list at the library. #119 thankyouverymuch.

Will the other 118 people hurry up already? I want to read this!