20 July 2009

Cheater Trifle and Apricot Chicken



Cheater Trifle a la Rowena
Layer:
chunks of one microwave cake
fresh fruit (peaches, strawberries, blueberries, whatever flips your skirt)
pudding (french vanilla in this one, but chocolate strawberry trifle is also a favorite.)
whipped cream

Die of happiness. (Eat.)

Crock Pot Apricot Chicken and Brown Rice

Chicken
Apricot Jam
Onion soup mix
Russian Dressing
Brown Rice

Brown chicken in a frying pan on the stovetop (Don't cook, just sear the outside.) Toast the rice by cooking it in a little oil until it pops but don't let it get brown. Put rice in the bottom of the crock pot with 2-1/4 cups water per cup rice, throw everything else except jam on top. Cook on high four hours or low eight hours, putting jam in half-way through.

I tried this chicken recipe and was pleased with the results, though the rice was mushy for my taste. I'm not sure how to remedy that, except maybe shorter cooking time. I waited to put the jam until later because I was worried the sugar would burn, but it didn't have any trouble, so I'm thinking it could go in at first as well.

If you lack posting ideas, I could use a few new ideas for easy dinners that don't heat the whole kitchen to cook.

4 comments:

The Rookie said...

The new look is sheer loveliness. I dig George Eliot and her quote.

And I am planning to show up on your doorstep one random day for dinner (entirely uninvited, of course) if you keep posting these images and recipes of your delicioso food.

Paulette said...

The apricot chicken sounds very good and easy. I might try it today, thanks! Perhaps decreasing the amount of water a bit might help with the mushiness of the rice. I hope to try it and I'll find out.

Jen said...

Rookie, my dear, I totally dreamed I ran into you at quilt guild last night and was so excited, so please stop by any time.

That's a good idea Paulette, maybe I'll try that next time.

Jessi said...

Those recipes look so good!!! We just got our ward cookbook so I'm excited to try out some good new recipes. I'll post any that are keepers.