17 July 2009

Out of Leftovers




This quilt is like motherhood. It is not about perfection. It is about the love. I repeat this to myself when I notice the little bunches and other flaws in the quilt. It is about the love.


I vowed to quit making cousin/niece/nephew/visiting-teacher's-SIL-once-removed quilts, but then my cousin got pregnant with twins. And I felt really bad for her, having wished for twins myself until my firstborn child was about a week old.


I know that black and white damask is ubiquitous right now, but I just loved it with the red with white polka dots fabric for the border. Sadly, I didn't wash the red border fabric before quilting it in. Then I started ironing and realized that the dye is not set. So I will be washing this quilt in multiple commercially available dye setters before giving it away, and I will be hoping desperately that the quilt will remain red and white instead of becoming a pink and rainbow disaster of laundral laziness.

11 comments:

Kimi said...

Jen that is seriously so cute. I'll be crossing my fingers for you that the color doesn't bleed.

The Rookie said...

Lovely. And I don't care if damask is cliche--I still think it a beautiful pattern.

Good luck with the dye setting.

The Yoder's Three said...

Say--you can make me a quilt anytime, even though I'm not even your visiting teacher's SIL once removed. I find myself making people stuff all the time who I barely see or associate with just for the sake of being crafty (and to bribe my way into people's hearts). Good luck to your cousin and her twins!

Jessi said...

Gorgeous!! Your cousin is lucky to get that quilt.

potsandpins said...

Absolutely adorable! I just love that pattern but haven't ever made it - might just have to do so after seeing yours. You must be roasting in your part of the world...we are too...it's 78 outside and it feels like 107! Love the letter from baby - love the pics - can't believe how big Henry is! He is much bigger than Baby Max - and even bit as cute! xo, Nan

Tink said...

Super cute quilt!

sammygrace said...

what a cute quilt. me likey a lotty.:)

Marie Loves Ben said...

if the quilt turns pink, REMEMBER. IT IS ABOUT LOVE.

myimaginaryblog said...

Very pretty! She's going to love it.

I'm always wanting to sew things for friends' kids, neighbors' kids, sisters, ward members--and always having to remind myself that I'm not even getting any sewing done for my own family.

Dansie Family said...

beautiful as always. oh to have the time to do something like that.

Malisa said...

Just clicked over here from Segullah and have been randomly reading through some posts. You're funny and I like you style - but THIS QUILT has got to be one of the most awesome quilts I've seen. It appeals to my mathematical mind...

And, btw, I happen to be reading "Book of a Thousand Days" right now.