20 September 2009

Grenadine

I needed something to do with a large quantity of these delightful things: So I googled pomegranate recipes, and came across "grenadine." I have heard of it, but I didn't know that the grena was from pomegranate. Anyway, it looked super easy to make. The process was easy and quick except for getting the seeds out of the pomegranates.

Homemade Grenadine, from About.com
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients:
2-1/4 pounds pomegranates (I filled my quart-size pyrex measuring cup to the top)
1 pint water
Sugar, see instructions

Preparation:
Separate the pomegranate seeds from the membranes and skin. In a heavy saucepan, cover pomegranate seeds with 1 pint of water and simmer, stirring until juice sacs release their juice, about 5 minutes. Pour through a cheesecloth-layered sieve into a bowl, pressing the juice from the seeds. Discard seeds. Measure the strained pomegranate juice and add an equal amount of sugar. Pour into saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Cool to room temperature. Pour into a decorative stoppered bottle, or an unsightly mason jar with rusty lid.

Use grenadine syrup in children's drinks like Shirley Temple or Roy Rogers, desserts, marinades, and other general recipes.

Shirley Temple: ginger ale + a splash of grenadine + garnish with cherry, lemon, or orange.

The only note I would add to About's recipe is that the seeds still look like they have juice in them after they have released the juice. I had a hard time telling if it was time, but I had set the timer for five minutes after it came to a boil. The seeds still looked full to me, but I could stir them more easily, so I could tell some of the juice had come out of them. The seeds were a pale pink color after straining. We tried it on waffles and really liked it. I used tart pomegranates, (according to Saddie there are tart or sweet varieties, and these were tart) and I liked the mild tartness with the sweetness. I think I could have used less sugar than the recipe called for and just boiled it down longer for a little more flavor intensity, but I'm not sure. Let me know if you try it!


9 comments:

msjvd said...

Can I just wait and try YOURS? It looks wonderful! Way to go!

Dansie Family said...

i am totally going to try it. my parents have half a pomegranate tree. thanks.

Thora said...

I've made pomegranate molasses, which is just pomegranate juice boiled down until it makes a syrup. It can be used to make a yummy middle eastern dip, Muhammara. Here's a sample recipe (I don't use the special peppers, but instead substitute with cayenne pepper): http://voices.washingtonpost.com/mighty-appetite/2008/06/an_evening_with_muhammara.html

I bet you could use the grenadine syrup in this. (I always double the amount of syrup I use, 'cause it's so yummy).

Jesse said...

I've had pomegranate jelly before, and it was SO GOOD. A certain someone's mother who's in a certain guilde of yours has a recipe :)

Jen said...

Thanks Thora. I'm going to print that recipe and hopefully try it soon :)

The Rookie said...

I'm just jealous you have so many pomegranates at your disposal.

myimaginaryblog said...

Wow, how very cool. Grenadine is a big deal in Belgium/France where I served my mission, but I never knew it came from pomegranates. It seems so obvious, though.

Perhaps you already know this trick, but if you hold the pomegranates underwater while you remove the seeds, you won't get splashed with the juice.

I learned about a drink made with orange juice and grenadine that's called a "Liegeois" in Belgium, but in Googling it I discovered it's called a "Tequila Sunrise" in English.

http://www.cocktail.uk.com/Cocktail-Recipe/Tequila-Sunrise.htm

(You'd of course want to leave out the tequila part.)

Olga said...

LOVE pomegranates. I eat them just as is. Or you can put them in a salad: I made one with arugula, pomegranates and figs with balsamic glaze. Email me for more details.

Sara said...

I was blessed to try this pomegranate grenadine that we have all heard so much about--it is DELICIOUS! Jen you have sweet culinary skills.