14 September 2009

String Bean Diet

I was lamenting my inability to cross the weight-loss barrier to my sister. She revealed to me that she lost nine lbs in a week by buying a five pound bag of string beans and eating them cooked with garlic and salt every time she wanted a snack instead of things like tortillas and peanut butter, bread, or other calorie laden items.

So I tried this string bean thing (in addition to continuing Alex's and my resolve not to eat second—or third or fourth—helpings until Thanksgiving). I broke the wall, lost five pounds. Then this weekend I worked my way through a large bowl of chicken and pasta salad leftover from quilt guild and gained most of it back.

Moral of the story: Pasta (drenched in dressing, chicken, and cheese) is a diet's arch nemesis, even if there are olives and prettily colored healthy-looking peppers involved. It is time for me to get back on the beaned wagon.

6 comments:

Jesse said...

Leftovers. Trouble.
The bean diet! Sounds like a good idea.

msjvd said...

I ate green beans today.

They were deep-fried. Haha!


(We love you JUST THE WAY YOU ARE, JEN!)

Brittany said...

I love you Jenny. Today I love you because you too gain and loose weight like I do. Luckily, nobody can usually tell except us. :) It's so nice to have company. By the way, I think you are just beautiful.

The Rookie said...

I just realized I never sent you the keto info. But these string beans really are much more appetizing (if I'm being entirely honest).

In other news, guess who lost 10 pounds over the past two weeks! Personal Trainer Toothpick-Heidi may have made it impossible for me to rise from my bed without intense abdominal agony, but that girl burned something off of me.

Jen said...

Way to go Rookie! That's awesome!

Rhonda said...

I make a green bean salad with fresh steamed string beans, canned kidney beans, garbanzo beans, black eyed peas. With olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, cilantro, salt and pepper and have averaged a 2-3 lb loss per day. Also drinking at least 4 sixteen oz glasses of water per day. I discovered this by accident craving the salad and eating it all day.... as soon as I introduced any white Carb, I gained but sticking with the bean salad and fresh fruits and veggies steadily took the weight off.