17 October 2009

Hog Wash

In spite of my conspiracy theory and my attempts to relegate H1N1 to Santa Claus Imaginary status, I seem to have caught the nastiest flu I have had these many years.

Here is my home remedy, which I affectionately call "Hog Wash,"

1 cup water
juice from 1/2 a lemon
1 Tbsp. raw honey
1 or 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar

Heat all ingredients together over medium heat until the honey melts into the water. Don't overheat, because if raw honey gets too hot it loses some of the good properties. I don't know the science, that's just what some lady told me when she sold me the raw honey. "Don't heat it over 120 degrees," she said. This drink doesn't make the flu go away, but it is very soothing, and the lemon and honey cover the vinegar nicely.

10 comments:

Gina said...

I hope we won't be needing this recipe this year. I was researching vaccines before I read your post. A sign??
Feel better soon and I hope your kids don't get sick.

Ben said...

oh, buddy! swine flu be gone! please know this is an imaginary illness, so the symptoms you are experiencing are merely imaginary. i hope that will be of some comfort to you.
get better soon!

Ben said...

p.s. this is actually ben's wife, in case you couldn't tell.

liliblogs said...

Oh you poor dear! I'm sorry. Get better! :(

Anonymous said...

So let me get this straight.

You feel horrible, but that's not enough, you drink something nasty with honey, lemon and vinegar in it, to add to the pain?

Fortunatel, it's correctly named.

I wish I was there to make you some chicken soup, spoil your children and push Alex's limits of tolerance by asking him endless camera and digital video questions.

Dansie Family said...

sounds gross. hoped it worked.

Amy Huntington said...

:( Poor poor jenny. There is a little place in Provo called Juice n Java, and they have a tea called "Sick Tea." At first, I was like, "Eww. Sick Tea, must be nasty!" The lady rolled her eyes and said, "Drink it if you're sick & it helps." (add lots of sarcasm to that!) Anyway, like a year later I was sick and I did try that tea, and it helped a lot!! If St. George area has this store, check it out!:)

Linz said...

I hope you feel better soon! Boo to swine flu!

angela michelle said...

I am so with you! I'm sick of people saying, "I coughed once...maybe I have swine flu." Or maybe you have TB.
Nevertheless, we were sicker last year than we ever have been before and are all getting flu shots this year. I love your recipe. We're also fans of gargling with hot salt water.

The Rookie said...

My mother calls it a "Hot Toddy." I'm convinced my mother was a lush in a former life.

P.S. Feel better!