25 October 2009

Butternut Squash Muffins, and Dried Strawberries, Oh My.


My Beloved sister-in-law mothers a Very Bad Eater, as compared to Grace, who is only a Somewhat Bad Eater. So I recently sent her this recipe, from my Aunt Jane. These muffins are a great way to sneak veggies to resistant munchkins.

Anything Goes Muffins
Preheat oven 375
2 C. flour
1 Tbsp Baking Powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 C. brown sugar
1 Tbsp honey
1 C. Anything (moist, such as banana, shredded carrots, cranberry sauce, pumpkin, cooked oatmeal, or cooked, smashed BUTTERNUT SQUASH!)
1 egg, slightly beaten
3/4 C. milk
1/4 C. oil

Sift dry ingredients. Mix all wet ingredients. Stir just enough to moisten. Bake in preheated oven at 375. 15 to 20 minutes.
I did mini muffins, and my pan is very dark, so I lowered the temp to 360. I used butternut squash for the second time this week today with 1/4 to 1/2 c. or so of chopped freeze-dried strawberries from Shelf Reliance, and these muffins—Oh, they were good. And my children ate the covert vegetables inside with nary a flinch.
Yielded 24 very heaping mini muffins.

Aunt Jane's favorite is: 1/2 c. zucchini, and 1/2 c. cranberry. I think cran-pumpkin would be interesting to try. Other ideas: peanut banana, strawberry banana, applesauce spice (with some nutmeg, etc.), etc.

Other recent uses for freeze-dried strawberries:
*Syrup for pancakes, waffles, or ice cream.
*Transforming a banana smoothie into a strawberry smoothie.
*Please share any other muffin or freeze-dried strawberry ideas. The strawberry can is pretty big, and the only recipe on it is for cheesecake. If I made cheesecake with all of those berries, I would have a really good time on my way to be wider than a Buick.

6 comments:

msjvd said...

Must be nice to have enough butternut squash that you can just put it in muffins, willy-nilly, like that. :P

Jen said...

Sounds to me like someone is jealous. You just have to weigh whether squash is worth moving to Utah or not, I suppose. ;)

MoreUses said...

Find more uses for Straberries at http://www.MoreUses.com

Kate said...

I remember hating vegetables as a kid. BUT, man did I LOVE Cinnamon Toast Crunch. My little niece, on the other hand, gnaws on broccoli like it is the best treat ever.

She has never eaten refined sugar. I think that was my problem.

I mean, once you know that sugar exists, what's the point of eating a carrot?

msjvd said...

How many muffins will you make me, if'n I move to your vicinity?

You'd probably just get crabby and turn into a crankypants about the whole butternut squash situation.

Things like that have torn families asunder in days gone by, you know...

Jen said...

All the muffins you want, sugar pie, IF you move close enough to come and get them.